Another post about fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwcpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello community,

I recently noticed one of my cory cats looks as though most of his tail and dorsal fin are gone. Looks like they've been bitten off, but there is zero aggression in my tank, even though I have a couple of cichlids. Then, my last German Blue Ram started looking bad and died the next day. (I've never had any luck with the Rams.)

My aquarium is 46 gallons and I change three buckets (9 gallons) every eight or nine days. My wife and I probably do overfeed a bit. I blame it on her, but I am probably guilty of this as well. I've got three Corys, one pleco, five rainbowfish, one Electric Blue Acara, and one Blood Parrot. The parrot is maybe four inches long, but everyone else is smaller.

Anyway, I tested the water. Nitrates and Nitrites were fine. Ammonia may have been slightly above zero - hard to distinguish between yellow and the pale green color. So I changed some more water and plan to do more frequent changes. Also, I use a Fluval canister filter than I am confident does a good job.

My question: Is there a treatment that I should consider adding to the aquarium for this Cory's fins? I do not have a hospital tank, so the whole aquarium will be getting treated. The local petstore has API Pimafix and Melafix. One appears to be for fungus, the other for bacteria. Which one should I use?

Thanks for your input!

You can use both of them together. But, another thing is changing 9 gallons out of a 46 gallon tank when over feeding is not gonna help much. I'd clean the tank, vacuum the gravel, and then clean your canister change your pads,(if needed), and most important that some people seem to not realize is to clean to hoses and the top intake and outtake top of the canister the best you can. It will benefit you and your fish. After you clean everything, run your canister. Then do a 50% water change. And cut back on the feeding. Your ammonia level should never be anything but yellow. If you did your test after water changes my guess is that it was higher. And with canisters, yes, they do a great job if the up keep is down on them. I clean and change my pads every 3-4 wks. I clean my hoses when ever they start looking bad.

Back
Top Bottom