Another problem with mr grumpy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so after settling mr grumpy in I have now noticed that I think he has fin rot!! Here are before and after pics.
He also has a small pin hole in the tail too but has had that since I got him.
His tank mates are chili rasboras as my water parameters are 0, 0, and 10 (nitrates)
I have added correct dose of melafix for the time being any further advice?

Oh yes I'm doing daily water changes anyway as the tank is newly set up with seeded media.

Thanks gang! :)

I think you are taking the right action in the situation. Consider putting an air line in and make sure to take your carbon out of the filter. The air line is needed because when dosing with meds, the fish need more air. The carbon takes the meds out of the water, which is why you need to take it out

I don't have the space or funds for a air tube at the moment. I have api salt but unsure whether to add it?

don't add it wile adding your melafix. Don't stress over the fact that you don't have an air line either, there is a simple fix! Make sure your water is low enough so that the water movement creates bubbles at the top. Does that make since? Hope this helps!

You have to have water movement of some sort while medicating. The oxygen will be diminished while treating with meds. What kind of filters do you have? If they are HOB's (Hang-on-the-back), then just drop the water level a few inches. This will help until you can get some airstones and an air pump.

don't add it wile adding your melafix. Don't stress over the fact that you don't have an air line either, there is a simple fix! Make sure your water is low enough so that the water movement creates bubbles at the top. Does that make since? Hope this helps!

Oh Sorry...guess I should get in the habit of reading other posts first, huh? :banghead: :whistle:

By correct dose do you mean what is on the bottle or the 1/5 dose recommended for Bettas?

maestromad said:
The 1/5 dose ;)

Whew! Just checking. Clean water and a little melafix should help clear it all up. It doesn't look like his fins have had the chance to get really bad yet, so I don't think it will take much more than that to help him recover. Gorgeous fish, btw!

Aww thank you, he did just give me a heart attack though (see new thread lol). I think I've noticed it real quick so fingers crossed it'll heal up soon back to his former glory

Ok I can't work out if his fins have got worse I'm still doing daily pwc and using melafix what do you guys think?

Well I've done seven days of melafix and it hasn't got better, can anyone help with another treatment/remedy??

Melafix doesn't really heal the fins, just prevents infection and calms the fish a little bit to keep it from stressing out. He needs lots of water changes (very very clean water) to really be able to heal himself fully. Also, remember that as the fins heal, new growth will be clear. The color will come back eventually, but any missing bits will be transparent for a while.

His fins also look like they could be combtail fins, so he may not really be suffering from much fin rot at all. Combtails are similar to crowntails, just less dramatic spiking. That being said, he has definitely had some reduction in finance, so there is a bit of an issue there.

Just a question - have you bee running carbon in the filter while using melafix? Carbon removes melafix. If you haven't been using carbon, maybe do a huge water change to remove the melafix or just add carbon to remove it and try a week or so with the aquarium salt instead.

Thanks mumma what dosage would you recommend? The only other tank mates are chili rasboras.

I did leve the carbon in as it's attached to the polyester filter and the bottle didn't direct that it must be taken out. His fins weren't ragged at all when I got him in hoping it was the stress of the move and possibly the sad fact that the first lot of tankmates I got him all died :( rather than my bad fish keeping

Oh yes and he's been having daily water changes up until the last two days as I've been on nights

One tablespoon per 5gallons. Dissolve it in a cup of tank water and add slowly over a day or so. Keep up the water changes too. If he's still going down hill in a week or has a sudden turn for the worst we will look into antibiotics.

Thanks mumma he's been fab in himself now he's settled and not showing signs of illness. He even flared at me when I can home the other night cheeky monkey he is!!

Mumma.of.two said:
IMO ditch the melafix and add salt. IMO/E melafix does squat for fin rot (I know others will disagree).

+1 with what She said. Warmer water, Salt and clean cycled water is the best. I find improving water conditions is the best way of cure on most.

Back
Top Bottom