Antibiotics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. I have a sick dwarf gourami. I have another thread going about him so some of you may know a bit of what's going on already.
He has a wound on his side. It was red and swollen and a few days later there was white stuff on it. His poop is long white and stringy. He hides most of the time and isn't eating much at all. Tuesday night I used jungle parasite clear. He seems a little better...not hiding as much and not darting away whenever I approach. His wound is no longer swollen and there is only a little white stuff there now. It's also sunken in a bit. There is only one wound. I have pimafix and melafix and was planning on using that tonight after a waterchange. I was also advised to use some sort of anantibiotic. Can anyone tell me what kind I should get and where they sell them. Or if anyone has any other ideas to help my poor fish. Thanks and sorry to be so long winded
A 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 10ppm
ph 6.6ish

The thing about antibiotics they can kill your cycle or cause your tank to mini cycle. It is best to treat it separate from your main tank even a new bucket with a corner filter and a heater will work as a hospital tank.

Best antibiotic to use in the water would be Kanamycin (Kanaplex). You might have trouble getting it in a typical PetSmart .... BigAl's has it (at least in Edmonton.)

Next best is Erythromycin. This is widely available as generic & also as Maracyn II in lfs. However, a lot of bacteria is now resistant to Erythro.

<If the fish is eating, feeding an antibiotic containing food is better than adding antibiotics to water.>

As Joy said, you risk killing your bio-filter with antibiotics, so it is best used in a hospital setup. Personally, I would not be mixing in so many meds (Parasite clear + Primafix + Malafix). It is generally better to give one treatment time to work & move to the next only if it is failing. The shotgun approach often do more harm than good & really should be reserved as a last resort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom