anus worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad to hear you are having success in treating your fish. I started my battle with camallanus ... gosh... in April? I had a really hard time finding the proper medication for it, and once I did, I wasn't sure how reliable it was. I haven't seen any worms hanging out of my fish (the ones who survived) in a month or two now, but I continue to medicate them with the deworming agent once every couple weeks just as a prophylactic. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable re introducing these fish to my healthy tank. I've read online and also received advice from a gentleman who runs the quarantine department at the local shed aquarium that if you can catch your fish and see the worms hanging out, you can manually remove the worms with a tweezer. Also, everything I've read, and also the advice from the shed guy was to do the water change/vacuum a few hours after administering the medication. This is because the way the medication works is it paralyzes the worm (it doesn't kill it) so it allows the fish to pass the worm out if it's body. Then you can vacuum it up before the fish re-eat it and re-infect themselves.

Good luck! I feel this is a super nasty infection to have to deal with!! :banghead:

Heya. Fish seem happier had some angels lay eggs fir the first time
But one is still showing worms and others are still doing stringy poos, less than before but still happening. So I did a bit more digging and found this article
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamellanusTreatment.pdf

In this it states that I should be using 1.5 ml for ever 7.5l of water.
Ran the maths and says I should be putting in 100ml levicide.
Have a read through the article and see what you think.

I read the article and I'm still trying to get my head around it. The writer is using powder which he mixes into a solution. It states:
"The treatment dosage is 1.5 ml of a 7.5% solution in 2 gallons of water." Your drug is 7.5% solution.

This is what I calculate:

500 litres = 132 gallons
1.5ml per 2 gallons
132 divided by 2=66 x 1.5 ml=99mls

According to this article, you can increase your dosage to 100mls/500 litre tank.

INKMKR is a reputable site which sells fish drugs as well.

Let us know how it this increased dose works for you. Do an 80% water change with a good vacuum before every dose and feed with epsom salt soaked food to help expel the worms.

Looking forward to another update.

Not dosed at 100ml yet going to wait until weekend when im not working.
All visual sighns of worms are now gone. Still got a little bit of stringy poo from 1 angle.

I am fairly sure this is available in the UK. For the future you can use a product called Avitrol plus. It's a bird dewormer in pill form. Very easy to use to treat camalanus. It contains levamisole and praziquantel. You use one crushed pill per 10L of tank water.

Looked for that avitrol and I cant find it but there was another bird wormer. Harkers harka verm. I decided to use the levicide because there seemed to be more info on it.

Lost two fish today. The angel which had visable worms and a bala shark who was/looked healthy. It just layed on floor and died :s. Because of this I decided not to redose but I did a large water change. I will dose in another week or two.

Back
Top Bottom