any idea what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aoessand

Aquarium Advice Activist
So its like his/her tongue is swollen, it eats like a pig and swims like the rest only fish with this in the tank is it cotton mouth? water parameters are stable 0ammonia/nitrite 8.2ph nitrates dont get over 20 i do 2 50% pwc a week no other fish have any signs of symptoms i really cant have this <possibly> sick fish in my tank cause i have a couple of guppys and platy ready to give birth any day and i cant medicate the tank with them like that i would think. Its been like this for awhile i thought it was just from aggression between the red eye tetras but its been probably a month and it hasnt went down or up in swelling

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120604_005136.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120604_005136.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20120604_005143.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120604_005143.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 99
Is it fuzzy? What is the texture? At a glance, it looks like an injury from bickering with another fish, but that isn't very common in tetras compared to cichlids or something. Still, that is my best guess at the moment.

Best i can see its the tongue and it's smooth also its one of the bigger tetras so maybe it was setting dominance and got hurt? Its always first to swimup to eat and swims just like the rest.

That is my best guess. Maybe somebody else will chime in with a different idea though. If it is the result of a wound, clean water should be enough to help it out unless it starts to get fuzzy. It's a good sign that he is acting normal though, so hopefully it is nothing too serious.

Back
Top Bottom