Any platy lovers out there with some advice???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeD

Aquarium Advice Regular
Had my MM platy about 5 weeks, a few days ago she started acting odd. Went from happy and swimming around to close to the surface near the thermometer, lethargic, reddish gills, not eating and trying to stay hidden. My other Platy (female also) kinda guards her, if I look in the tank she will come right up a try to hide her.

My parameter are fine, yet my water is kinda white cloudy. I've done 2 PWC's in 2 days to try and help.

She doesn't look prego, or have any white spots or white poop... Is there a way to confirm if she's prego?? Any thoughts on what might be going on???

Thanks a bunch!

BTW the tank has 2platies, 2corys and 9ghost shrimp. Also she doesn't necessarily stay on top, now she's near the bottom hiding...

if she starts turning pale and gets worse, then hit me up. what are your ammonia and nitrite and nitrite, hardness, ph? what % of water do you change at a time ? is your tank cycled? you say 2 female plays are in the tank, so i assume you got them recently...?

if she starts turning pale and gets worse, then hit me up. what are your ammonia and nitrite and nitrite, hardness, ph? what % of water do you change at a time ? is your tank cycled? you say 2 female plays are in the tank, so i assume you got them recently...?

Yo Doogle, Ammo is 0, rites 0 rates 2.5 ph 7.8, hardness not sure. I did a 25% yesterday and a 35% today. Basically this is all new to me, my wife got a platy with a table bowl, I got a 20gal, with the advice of a LPS I ran the tank for a few days, got a few fish 5 weeks ago, then learned about the proper way to cycle etc. I've been learning tons since I found this site. Originally had 3 platties, the one who is sick bullied the other one to death. Finished the cycle with fish, just got the Corys and shrimp. Could it have been from the new additions since they weren't quarantined???

yes, absolutely....that is great you are learning alot, because it is a more difficult hobby than most people think. sometimes they have internal paresites that you cant see external signs of and they will spread it to others in the tank. keep an eye on them and signs of stress like sratching on decorations, lazyness, poor color, anything white, black, or red spots...etc.. google for fish diseases and look into what the signs and symptoms are, and treat em if need be, if you want look into garlic treatments, helps with internal paresites.... hit me up

Back
Top Bottom