Anyone Using Gel-Tek Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks dskidmore...that reminds me that I should let people know what kind of fish I have that are ignoring the food, Ive updated my signature to show them.

It's the gel vitamin food right?

If they won't eat it then try just mixing it with the food you already have.

Soak it in it for awhile then feed it to them. Never tried it but some people have had success with it.

Flamingonhot....yes, its the gel vitamin food. Ill give that approach a try tomorrow morning when I feed them again and Ill let you know how it works out. Thanks for the advice!

no prob... i dont know how well it'll work with flake and stuff. In most cases people do it with krill, but thats a lot bigger and soaks it up better.

I bought pencillin Gel-tek recently because of mouth cotton in my rainbow.. none of my fish eat it except my angels.. So I decided to mix it with my flakes and brine shrimp. It some what works.. But not as the instruction claims :oops:

Brine Shrimp, that'a a good idea. Brine are indiscriminte particle eaters. If you had a particulate medicine, and floated the live brine shrimp in it for a few hours before feeding them to the fish, it will provide a decent dose of the medicine. Anyone know if the gel-tek stuff is water soluable or particulate?

The one I had tried was the anti-parasitic medicine. Luckily none of my other fish caught what the two gourami had, even though they wouldn't eat the medicine.

I think it's liquid and when it hits the water it turns into gel am i correct?
I read one label on one of them and thats what it said happens.

If you try this with brine shrimp (dont think it would work) they would have to be over 24-30 hours old. They lose theyre egg sac after a couple of hours and in about 24 hours they get mouths and stuff. So if you add it before 24 hours it wont do anything since they cant eat yet.

You could try it but it probably wont do much.

I tried soaking it in their regular flake food, and they ate it all. Just bugs me that I have to use it that way...seems a bit misleading the way they talk it up.

flamingonhot said:
If you try this with brine shrimp (dont think it would work) they would have to be over 24-30 hours old.
I can get live adult brine pretty cheap at my LFS. I have used them to encourage sick fish to eat when they wouldn't normally.

That;s pretty cool. I can never get my brine shrimp to full size.

I only use them as a snack because they provide little to no nutritional value.

flamingonhot said:
I only use them as a snack because they provide little to no nutritional value.
This is actually a debatable topic. I wouldn't consider the ones from my LFS nutritious without more info on them, but the nutrition of a brine shrimp is entirely dependant on what they have been fed. If you feed them highly nutritious foods for a few hours before giving them to the fish, their gut will still be loaded with those nutrients.

Baby brine have a high fat content, adult have less fat and more protein. For mature fish, this actually makes the adults more nutritious than baby brine. Newly hatched baby brine are a good food for fry, because of their size and the nutrition in the yoke sac.

Back
Top Bottom