Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question API Pimafix & Melafix?

Does anyone have experiences with these products?

Pimafix claims to be from West Indian Bay Trees, and treat fungal infections.
Melafix claims to be a tea tree extract, and treat bacterial infections.

Are they the homepathic of fish meds? Or do they have actual capability to treat either fungus or bacteria in fish tanks? Do they harm BB?

Size: 55g Filtration: Whisper 60HOB, Fluval 306 Lighting: buildmyled 48" LED (6500K). CO2: CO2 injection. Fauna: 2 otto cats, 2 cherry barbs, 4 phantom tetras, 4 amano shrimp, 1 red tail shark, 6 lampeyes, 10 red + 10 black crystal shrimp, 2 apple snails, 7 checkered barbs, 2 bushy nose plecos
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Worthless snake oil products in my opinion, they don't do anything that pristine water conditions won't do better.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Worthless snake oil products in my opinion, they don't do anything that pristine water conditions won't do better.
I wondered. They say "natural" all over them, and now that I've had time to go online and read more, it sounds like the results are the sort of things you'd see if they didn't actually do much of anything.
Size: 55g Filtration: Whisper 60HOB, Fluval 306 Lighting: buildmyled 48" LED (6500K). CO2: CO2 injection. Fauna: 2 otto cats, 2 cherry barbs, 4 phantom tetras, 4 amano shrimp, 1 red tail shark, 6 lampeyes, 10 red + 10 black crystal shrimp, 2 apple snails, 7 checkered barbs, 2 bushy nose plecos
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordachai View Post
I wondered. They say "natural" all over them, and now that I've had time to go online and read more, it sounds like the results are the sort of things you'd see if they didn't actually do much of anything.
Yeah haven't found them to be useful at all. Any time I've added it my fish activity drops almost to zero and looks like they are all swimming with rocks tied to them. Horrible stuff don't waste your money. The only med I swear by is Rid Ich +
Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
The oils these products are made with do have mild antiseptic properties but I don't think they do much for treating disease. I think they are only so popular because they are relatively cheap and people think because they are "natural" they are safer than other medications (which are more useful.) What people need to remember is that natural doesn't necessarily equal safe or effective. Arsenic and cyanide are natural, too... And these products can be just as dangerous to fish if misused. Labyrinth fish like bettas and gouramis can be seriously harmed or killed by the recommended dose of melafix or pimafix because the oils mess up their labyrinth organ.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've used melafix in the past. Can't say I noticed any difference to when I've just kept the water really clean. Waste of money. Smells nice though. Sort of minty.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcor View Post
I've used melafix in the past. Can't say I noticed any difference to when I've just kept the water really clean. Waste of money. Smells nice though. Sort of minty.
I love the smell of tea tree oil. And it can help relieve headaches. So instead of treating my fish with the melafix I have laying around, I smell it when I have a headache.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
I love the smell of tea tree oil. And it can help relieve headaches. So instead of treating my fish with the melafix I have laying around, I smell it when I have a headache.
That's hilarious!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post

Bingo!! We have a winner! Might go dig out the bottle now, got a banging headache. LOL!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcor View Post

Bingo!! We have a winner! Might go dig out the bottle now, got a banging headache. LOL!
See, it isn't completely useless!

Tags
api, melafix, pimafix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com