API Pimafix & Melafix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mordachai

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have experiences with these products?

Pimafix claims to be from West Indian Bay Trees, and treat fungal infections.
Melafix claims to be a tea tree extract, and treat bacterial infections.

Are they the homepathic of fish meds? Or do they have actual capability to treat either fungus or bacteria in fish tanks? Do they harm BB?

Worthless snake oil products in my opinion, they don't do anything that pristine water conditions won't do better.

Worthless snake oil products in my opinion, they don't do anything that pristine water conditions won't do better.
I wondered. They say "natural" all over them, and now that I've had time to go online and read more, it sounds like the results are the sort of things you'd see if they didn't actually do much of anything. :(

I wondered. They say "natural" all over them, and now that I've had time to go online and read more, it sounds like the results are the sort of things you'd see if they didn't actually do much of anything. :(

Yeah haven't found them to be useful at all. Any time I've added it my fish activity drops almost to zero and looks like they are all swimming with rocks tied to them. Horrible stuff don't waste your money. The only med I swear by is Rid Ich +

The oils these products are made with do have mild antiseptic properties but I don't think they do much for treating disease. I think they are only so popular because they are relatively cheap and people think because they are "natural" they are safer than other medications (which are more useful.) What people need to remember is that natural doesn't necessarily equal safe or effective. Arsenic and cyanide are natural, too... And these products can be just as dangerous to fish if misused. Labyrinth fish like bettas and gouramis can be seriously harmed or killed by the recommended dose of melafix or pimafix because the oils mess up their labyrinth organ.

I've used melafix in the past. Can't say I noticed any difference to when I've just kept the water really clean. Waste of money. Smells nice though. Sort of minty.

I've used melafix in the past. Can't say I noticed any difference to when I've just kept the water really clean. Waste of money. Smells nice though. Sort of minty.

I love the smell of tea tree oil. And it can help relieve headaches. So instead of treating my fish with the melafix I have laying around, I smell it when I have a headache.

I love the smell of tea tree oil. And it can help relieve headaches. So instead of treating my fish with the melafix I have laying around, I smell it when I have a headache.

Bingo!! We have a winner! Might go dig out the bottle now, got a banging headache. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom