API Tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pschmitt

Aquarium Advice Freak
My aquarium used to be a reef aquarium for many years. I got too busy with work and lost the battle with bubble algae. Drained and cleaned for goldfish. Replaced my sump with a CPR900 wet/dry filter. Cycled it fishless with a cocktail shrimp and have seen ammonia rise and fall, same with nitrites. Took about 6 weeks. Added 4 fancy's and they were happy for 2 weeks. Yesterday 3 died and one is hanging on for dear life. Tested the water, ammonia 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates 0. Per Apex temp 75, PH 7.4. Did a 50 percent water change using Prime. When I had the saltwater tank ammonia on the test always showed 0.25 ppm. Is it the same with fresh water? Sorry for the long post, but it's sad I can't keep goldfish but my saltwater tank was thriving besides the algae.

I was reading your post and trying to think what could be the cause, than I saw your photos and another question struck me, that is, do you have regrets going from marine to goldfish? I only ask as I once had marine and lost it due to a heat wave and not being home to chill it... You mentioned in your post "but it's said I can't keep goldfish".. How do you mean? Is that a filter spec ? Or something else

I don't know why they died. I kept my chiller and set it to 74 degrees. The tests look good, just wondering if the API always reads 0.25 ppm in freshwater. It did the same in my previous saltwater set up and everything thrived. No, no regrets, thought it was a lot less work without having to make RO/DI water then mixing it with salt.

Back
Top Bottom