Apistogramma cacatuoides dying help!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rizla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have a male and female and have had them for at least 6 weeks they are about 3cm long. After getting some more bogwood yesterday and rearranging the tank both my male and female are now struggling to breathe and on bottom going upside down an really looking in bad shape, just done some water tests and both ammo and no2 fine and no3 was 40-80ppm.

Any idea what's causing this and what I can do to help them

Many thanks

Female seems to be much better now as I was doin my pwc I thought I might isolate them both in separate tank but she was more than willing to swim away and resist capture!! However my male is much worse and pretty much dead now and not sure what to do?? Anyone??

He don't look as if he gonna make it admittedly but what could be possible causes??

Rizla said:
Female seems to be much better now as I was doin my pwc I thought I might isolate them both in separate tank but she was more than willing to swim away and resist capture!! However my male is much worse and pretty much dead now and not sure what to do?? Anyone??

He don't look as if he gonna make it admittedly but what could be possible causes??

What kind of food did you give to the Apistos?

Woke up this morning to a dead female aswell!! Not sure why jus this species affected? I used flake food and pellets and also some frozen bloodworms on the odd occasion. I used boiling water all over the bogwood an let it soak for 24hrs and then boiled water over it again before cooling and putting in tank, although I still have a little colouring coming from the bog wood, but I quite like the slight tinge to the water.

Any thoughts??

Sorry forgot to say did 40-50% pwc too last night after the male died but have been told by the lfs that nitrate prob not the cause??? Leaves me very baffled!!

FWIW, I lost two gorgeous apistos for no apparent reason. The female exibited signs of bloat, but the male looked perfectly happy and healthy until I found him dead one day. Nitrate is definitely on the high side. I prefer it to be 20ppm or lower. I dont think that's the cause though.

Sounds as if it was out if my control, I just want to make sure it's nothing I have done! Thx for all comments ;0)

mfdrookie516 said:
FWIW, I lost two gorgeous apistos for no apparent reason. The female exibited signs of bloat, but the male looked perfectly happy and healthy until I found him dead one day. Nitrate is definitely on the high side. I prefer it to be 20ppm or lower. I dont think that's the cause though.

Same happened to me.. I think that they goy infected by a parasite. The male was lethargic and with no appetite, but the female was fine, then both died.

ejaramillo01 said:
Same happened to me.. I think that they goy infected by a parasite. The male was lethargic and with no appetite, but the female was fine, then both died.

Seems very strange where in the world are u from? I am in Kent UK

Back
Top Bottom