Aquarium first aid/emergency kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
If this has been discussed before, lemme know. As I was tweezing Java moss out of my impellers today, I had some time to reflect.

What would you recommend to have on hand for:

Fishy health problems that arise (usually at 11:30 PM on a Saturday), such as fungal/bacterial patches, ich etc.

Hardware troubles with filters, airpumps, heaters

Water quality problems

I can think of:

• Replacement impellers
    Air pump repair kit
    Extra heater
    Extra airline tubing/airstones
    Breeder net/box for injured or otherwise stressed fish (if no hospital tank)
    Battery-powered air pump/batteries
Any meds that should be on hand, like Melafix or Primafix or some such?

I'm not talking about disasters like hurricaines or the End Times or terrorist attacks, just the common problems that can appear or be noticed suddenly. To save a mad scramble to find something at an open shop or avoid paying 200% more than one would online. :)

I agree with the heat. Also you have to remember that ich meds generally do not have a long shelf life. I always liked heat. If you notice ich spots on your fish their is really nothing you can for the one with it do but hope and quarantine.

how about a spare heater, even if you have two in the tank.
always the melafix (worked better for me than the other)
Battery operated air pump is a good one.
QT tank for the sickly fish...

I did keep a 5 gallon hospital tank, but I felt sorry for a poor betta (I wanted to keep them all) being kept in a pitiful little cup so it's now a betta kit. I do keep dechlorinator, anti-ich meds, anti-fluke meds, ammonia chips, extra air pumps and extra filters.

Aquasafe water treatment, filters, air pump, heater, Stress Zyme. I will note that I have bought Amquel which hasn't seemed to do squat yet... water clarifier doesn't seem to work WHEN I needed it LOL. I hope aquarium salt helps because I use some of that too. I have extra air tubes... I also wouldn't recommend buying any Ich treatments because it's a waste of money when you have heat...........

I shouldn't have mentioned the ick away, I did forget that its not goodo n invertabrates since its malachite green

Back
Top Bottom