Aquarium salt newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
My beta seems to be developing a fin rot, and I would like to take care of this as quickly as possible.
Before I begin, here is my weekly routine.
1.water change 25 percent of tank and treat new water with seachem prime.
2.take out all decor and clean them along with removing excess algae
3.add Indian almond leaves.

But even when I do all those things and leave the water clean as ever(with only some particles floating around due to disturbance), my beta still gets fin rot. His fins are starting to look frayed at the tips and his tail is beginning to rot. So, I wanted to try adding aquarium salt to my weekly routine.
Question 1:will it help at all to use aquarium salt weekly, or do Is it only used when fish is quarantine for a period of time
Question 2:IF it does help, how do I add it to the tank? I would assume I add required salt to the amount of water I put back in every water change.
And if anything is wrong with my weekly routine, please inform me.

Have you tested your water, before water changes? I do a 50% water change on my 5gallon every week.

Aquarium salt is an amazing healer for betta's. I use it when I need to. For your 6 gallon I'd add 1 tablespoon. It's 1tbs per 5 gallons. I take a little bowl of the tank water and a 1tbs stir it up in the bowl till it's dissolved completely. Then I add it slowly little by little to the tank. The salt will not filter out, so what I do is 2-50% water changes back to back ( one after another ) every 3-4 days and do the salt again till healed. If it's not bad it will heal up fast. but if it's pretty bad it can take awhile, just gotta keep on it. Another think is of course, keep an eye on him when dosing the salt. With salt sometimes the dose can be too much. If he starts acting different, do a little water change to get some out. But, it should be fine. I do the dosing as stated on the box and have never had a problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks! This helps a lot and I will try to follow what you do and hopefully see my betta's wonderful fins return

Back
Top Bottom