Are my tetras sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudger

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've recently finished fishLESS cycling. And added fish yesterday.
Parameters are: ammo-0, nitrIte-0, nitrAte-10, ph-6.8. Temp is 24.5℃/73℉
Its a 64ltr bow front with an eheim pickup 2010 filter.
I have 4 glowlight tetra, 4 golden whitecloud minnow and 2 cherry shrimp.
I use tetra aquasafe as a conditioner.
I've fed once with king British tropical fish flakes, the minnows eat fine but tetras stay together generally in a back corner, rarely venturing out, they had a little nibble of food but not much. I'm worried about the lack of colour from the tetra (pic shown, hiding/lack of colour) should I be concerned? My thoughts are I need at least 1 more for them to be comfortable, or they are just getting used to their new environment.
Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread or just me being worried too premature. Also if I've missed any info out let me know and I'll give you what you need. (also a pic of the tank setup before I added the fish)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391334831552.jpg
    1391334831552.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1391334893742.jpg
    1391334893742.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 64
I've recently finished fishLESS cycling. And added fish yesterday.
Parameters are: ammo-0, nitrIte-0, nitrAte-10, ph-6.8. Temp is 24.5℃/73℉
Its a 64ltr bow front with an eheim pickup 2010 filter.
I have 4 glowlight tetra, 4 golden whitecloud minnow and 2 cherry shrimp.
I use tetra aquasafe as a conditioner.
I've fed once with king British tropical fish flakes, the minnows eat fine but tetras stay together generally in a back corner, rarely venturing out, they had a little nibble of food but not much. I'm worried about the lack of colour from the tetra (pic shown, hiding/lack of colour) should I be concerned? My thoughts are I need at least 1 more for them to be comfortable, or they are just getting used to their new environment.
Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread or just me being worried too premature. Also if I've missed any info out let me know and I'll give you what you need. (also a pic of the tank setup before I added the fish)

How long have they been in the tank?

How long have they been in the tank?

24hrs please tell me I'm just worrying and they're just settling in, I followed the fishless cycle rigidly as I wanted the fish to be as happy and safe as possible when I was complete

If there is a problem I'd rather cure it first instead of going to get 2 more to make a total of 6 glowlights today, I'm looking at going to the lfs in an hr or so

If there is a problem I'd rather cure it first instead of going to get 2 more to make a total of 6 glowlights today, I'm looking at going to the lfs in an hr or so

Getting more may help them to feel more comfortable in there new home fish take a few days sometimes to really settle in i would hold off a week our so before getting any fish after that tho so ur amonia levels don't go up

Thankyou, going to get 2 more tetras now to hopefully cheer them up. While cycling my tank was used 4ppm of ammonia so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem but I am testing daily with api master kit to make sure. Thanks again

my glowlights are starting to colour up a little bit more now and braving the open water more often :) a couple have had a little bit off a squabble and nipped each others fins but nothing major (playing I guess) but all looks better :) just about to do a pwc as nitrAtes have nearly reached 20ppm. thanks again and sorry again if this has been a time wasting exercise or posted in the wrong thread?

for future reference, do I post in another thread somewhere else to confirm illness before posting in this 1?

my glowlights are starting to colour up a little bit more now and braving the open water more often :) a couple have had a little bit off a squabble and nipped each others fins but nothing major (playing I guess) but all looks better :) just about to do a pwc as nitrAtes have nearly reached 20ppm. thanks again and sorry again if this has been a time wasting exercise or posted in the wrong thread?

for future reference, do I post in another thread somewhere else to confirm illness before posting in this 1?

I'm glad things are looking up as for where to post i assume people just missed your post

Not sure for all tetras, but mine seem happiest when the temp is around 79. It was at 76 when I first started, and they never really ate or moved. Now that it has been hot where I live, the tank has been hovering between 79-80°, and they are active, hungry little beasts ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, might turn it up a degree or 2 (gradually of course) and see how they react, they're a little more adventurous now. But if they'll be happier it can't hurt to try :)

Also regarding color or lack of color, they will turn very pale when they are sleeping, and or the lights are off and that is completely normal, and can take a little while to color back up, 10 min to 30 min, which could also have to do with the temp as well.

Just keep checking the water regularly for a while to see how the filter does with the new fish in there.

Sometimes they aren't well, coming from the store.

:welcome: Good luck and welcome to AA. There are a million things to learn about here so have fun finding out new things about and for your aqua friends!

Would like to thank all your comments and feel I should let you all know my glowlights have settled in now and their stripe is bright red now :) 2 of the females are ready to drop eggs as well, I'm not goin to breed them though (haven't got the set up yet)

Would like to thank all your comments and feel I should let you all know my glowlights have settled in now and their stripe is bright red now :) 2 of the females are ready to drop eggs as well, I'm not goin to breed them though (haven't got the set up yet)

Great news on your fish.

Your mentioning these guys made me remember how much I liked them and I just bought a school (16) for my big tank to go with the 1 lonely little rescue guy that kinds hangs out with the Neons and Cardinals. In a couple of weeks he will have friends!!! (when they come out of Quarantine).

Back
Top Bottom