Are these tumors on my platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kira

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so one of my baby platies has two suspicious lumps in her back fin and I'm worried. Do you think these could be tumors? They look like dots until you see them from another angle and they are really thick sticking out of her fin.

Attachments

• IMG_8587.jpg
    IMG_8587.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8589.jpg
    IMG_8589.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8591.jpg
    IMG_8591.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 101
Yes, can see them and they look too big to be damage kinks along the rays of fins. Did you buy like that?

Could be lots of causes from tank water to tumour/viral to parasites.

One would be to check tank nitrates are <40ppm and no ammonia, etc. I assume this is a cycled tank. Next is if they look like a growth or a cyst staying same size or damage / infection (likely to be uneven shape with maybe blood specks).

Make sure tank water quality is very good to aid healing.

Salt gradually increased to 1 tablespoon per gallon in a spare QT would be worth a try. Start at 1 teaspoon per gallon and gradually increase, stopping if any issues. At 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons may improve fish. 1 tablespoon per gallon is better level though. Try for say a week and then reduce salt back down gradually. This could help if low level parasites or general damage / infection. If not working then probably something stronger is needed.

https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Salt

Back
Top Bottom