Are they acclimating or sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about a week into a fish in cycle with 3 MM platies. Have been testing water and doing water changes every day. When I test ammonia is .25-.5 Nitrites are at 0 and nitrates are at 5. Ph is 8.2-8.4. The fish don't really seem that interested in eating and I noticed yesterday that they're pooping white and clear. Other than that they seem ok. They swim all around the tank and I haven't noticed anything weird physically. Do you think they're still getting used to their environment or is something else going on?

White clear poop usually means there's something wrong with the digestive system. Try feeding them peas and see if that works.

I will try that! How do I feed it to them? Raw, cooked? Smash them up first?

birdma said:
I will try that! How do I feed it to them? Raw, cooked? Smash them up first?

Pop them in the microwave in a little cup of tank water for maybe 45 seconds to blanch them, then let them cool, remove the skins from the peas and mash them up into bite size pieces with your fingers or a fork.

Cool, thanks! Could I also crumble freeze dried peas or are using fresh/frozen better?

birdma said:
Cool, thanks! Could I also crumble freeze dried peas or are using fresh/frozen better?

Fresh or frozen are best. Freeze dried peas are likely to have some kind of seasoning or preservatives. You need plain, raw peas.

The ones I buy for my kids to snack on don't have any additives or preservatives but I have regular peas too. :)

I would use the regular ones, simply because freeze dried foods can be a little rougher on the fish's digestive system if they aren't completely rehydrated.

back again with another question! :) How often should I be giving them the peas? Poop is looking more solid but is still kind of a whitish/yellowish color.

birdma said:
back again with another question! :) How often should I be giving them the peas? Poop is looking more solid but is still kind of a whitish/yellowish color.

I would aim for may e two or three times a week until their poop improves. Don't be surprised if it is green for a little while, either, the peas might do that. If it doesn't resolve in a week or so, pick up some prazipro or other internal parasite treatment.

I would aim for may e two or three times a week until their poop improves. Don't be surprised if it is green for a little while, either, the peas might do that. If it doesn't resolve in a week or so, pick up some prazipro or other internal parasite treatment.

I will do that - thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom