Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to justagal30 Send a message via Yahoo to justagal30
are they sick??

Hi there...

I previously posted in the general discussion forum, but was asked to post it here instead. I guess that i was hoping that it could be something other than them being sick....

I have 2 questions..the first one is about my red tail shark. I notice that sometimes when i look at him, he is almost grey and his tail is almost transparent....other times he is dark black and tail is bright red, then other times he is part black with a greyish colour mixed through out...is it normal for a red tail shark to change the colours this way?

The second one is this....i recently got 5 platy's...four of them are very active and look to be having a wonderful time. The other one kinds keeps to itself and either stays at the top of the tank or hides in the lava rocks. When i feed the fish, they all go crazy for the food, but this one in particular just kinds floats around and if a piece comes by its way, it will open its mouth for it, but there is no trying to swim around for it. Is this normal? Do i just have an antisocial fish, or is there something else going on here?

i just finished a water change...so not sure if the test results will give an accurate result or not. I just took a look the the shark and he seems to be fine again...the platy is still doing her own thing though...ive heard of the pea thing but i dont have any peas in the house at the moment...is there anything else that I can do?

Here are my test results....

ph 6.6
nitrite 0
ammonia 1.0
nitrate 5.0

Thanks all

Old 08-17-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
is it normal for a red tail shark to change the colours this way?
Not really. Usually a sign of stress.
Quote:
Is this normal? Do i just have an antisocial fish, or is there something else going on here?
Does it get bullied, or is it just a loner? How long ago did you get them? What gender are they?
Quote:
ammonia 1.0
This is not good, and can be a indication of why your fish are ill. I would do daily small partial water changes to get that ammonia level down some.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I posted this in your thread in the general discussion, but I will mention it again here. If your redtail (and I am assuming you mean an E. bicolor) only looks washed out when the lights are off, and never when the lights are on, it could just be the lighting. I have an E. bicolor that looks fabulous under the aquarium lights, but when they go off in the evening he immediately looks gray. If your redtail ever looks washed out under your normal aquarium lights, though, I would definitely agree with Devilishturtles that he is stressed. (I am glad he is better! It sounds like it might have been the aquarium lights.)

If you think it might have been stress I would make sure there are caves for the redtail to hide in. I have several (made from stacking rocks) and my redtail has piggishly claimed them all, and will not let the tetras near them. It's pretty funny to watch him try guard all three at once!
Think of a snake as a rope. A rope without legs and not available in hardware stores. A lot of people have died at the end of a rope. A lot of people have died at the end of a snake. Think about it. -- Ranger Gord
odobenus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com