Argulus: fish louse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greensaturday

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an newly purchased Oranda in a 25L quarantine tank and he has a single fish louse living on him at the moment. He has just been treated for Ich (this appeared after 3 days in quarantine) with white spot medication and I am using Melafix with water changes and he seems to be doing okay (no signs of stress at all). I have quite a bit of salt in the tank to combat the Ich but this louse refuses to move. There are no plants or gravel in the tank. I tried to get it with tweezers but the fish (and I) were too stressed. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks GS

ps. Living in the UK I don't think I can get a hold of Dimilin or PROGRAM (flea tabs)

I was checking to see of any unanswered posts and came across yours. It's been awhile I know, but how is the fish doing?

Fish lice are well attached. Use tweezers to gently remove the parasite. Treat with a simple antiseptic dip to prevent infection of the area the parasite was attached. Feed garlic soaked foods for awhile to keep would be hitchhikers off if any others are in the tank. You may want to treat the tank water with an external parasite medication specific for goldfish.

I noticed you mentioned PROGRAM flea tabs. These are for dogs and cats, not aquariums. I don't know what Dimilin is to comment. Use medications that are aquarium specific.

Back
Top Bottom