At a loss and despite my heartbreak, I may have to euthanize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know what to do. I have a dalmation molly that I moved to a QT tank well over a week ago. In the 20 gallon tank, I noticed her shimmying. It has happened before, but not for this long.

I monitored, but she just sat at the bottom of the tank, literally pulling herself around as though she was paralyzed. She used to be the food bully, but she couldn't get to food in time.

I did as much research as I could and there was not a lot of info on fish pulling herself around. I moved her to a 5gallon QT, that had an elevated N2'reading which I only noticed because she began to look like she couldn't breathe, but also couldn't get to the surface. I changed the entire water to fully cycled water from yet another tank, cranked up the heat, and added aquarium salt. I also began treating with rid ich - taking out the carbon.

For one day only, she was not laying on her side with labored breathing and was swimming around pecking at the funk on the glass and eating some very mashed up peas. That was the only time.

Naturally the filter broke, so I put two emergency air stones in the tank until I Petco opened the next morning. Did a water,test, N2 was still elevated, so I replaced all the water with the cycled water from the other tank.

There have been no white spots, no furry patches, no extra mucous, no visible worms or irregular feces (except the green ones when Imswitched purely to peas).

The biggest difference is her inability to maintain equilibrium and staying on her side scooting along, gravitating to the air stone and sticking her head in it like one would drink from a water fountain. I have gloved my hand and hand fed her peas, which is difficult for her, but she enjoys.

Her scales are not protruding. But she keeps scooting around, somewhat flapping her body to do so.

I have never had a situation where I've contemplating euthanasia and Imdont think Imcan do it - I have a friend over tomorrow and if necessary, he will do it.

Is their any hope for my poor,baby? I change the water regularly - I had the carbon in when I replaced the filter so I could remove residual matter,while,she,was in a bucket, and then removed it when the temp was appropriate and moved her back. Since then, any peas that have escaped my hand have been siphoned with a turkey baster.

Her belly looks sunken in whereas she used to be kind of girthy. I believe she is paralyzed, but has a strong life instinct. There are no readily available medicines for internal parasites if that is what it is.

5gallon, only fish, ammonia 0, N2 0 after a water change in the morning otherwise .25-.5. pH 8.3. Been using aquarium salt, not epsom.

Please advise and sorry for the long description.

It sounds to me like this can't go on much longer. I understand that you've done everything you can, but if the fish is suffering, then you should euthanize it. It's hard to understand because we aren't the ones suffering, but we don't know how the fish feel, and if the fish is paralyzed it won't be able to live much longer anyway. You sound very dedicated and determined to save this fish, and I respect that, but I think that when the fish is almost dead, it's time to let go. If it's getting better, wait a few days and see what happens. Not trying to be mean, I'm only trying to save the fish some suffering.

Nils

It sounds to me like this can't go on much longer. I understand that you've done everything you can, but if the fish is suffering, then you should euthanize it. It's hard to understand because we aren't the ones suffering, but we don't know how the fish feel, and if the fish is paralyzed it won't be able to live much longer anyway. You sound very dedicated and determined to save this fish, and I respect that, but I think that when the fish is almost dead, it's time to let go. If it's getting better, wait a few days and see what happens. Not trying to be mean, I'm only trying to save the fish some suffering.

Nils

I agree with Nils. If you have medicated and nothing seems to work it's best just to end it. Your helping your little darling feel no more pain. We had to euthanize my dog a month ago and it was really hard on my family but we did it because we didn't want her to suffer from arthritis anymore. Sometimes you just have to know when to say enough is enough.

Clove oil is a painless quick method. It's like they are going to sleep.

Sorry for your loss we have all lost some fish at some point and it doesn't get any easier.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks to both of you. I went to check on her again, and (I can't believe I am saying this) thankfully she passed. I knew it was time and knew I had to go somewhere tomorrow to find clove oil. The last thing I would ever want,is,for,anything or anyone to suffer. I do take solace that she really seemed to enjoy when I hand fed her smashed up peas, so I hope she went out with somewhat of a smile. Thanks for your responses. People who don't own fish don't understand the sadness and desperation we feel when one of our babies is hurting. I appreciate your compassion and not laughing at me. :(

Thanks to both of you. I went to check on her again, and (I can't believe I am saying this) thankfully she passed. I knew it was time and knew I had to go somewhere tomorrow to find clove oil. The last thing I would ever want,is,for,anything or anyone to suffer. I do take solace that she really seemed to enjoy when I hand fed her smashed up peas, so I hope she went out with somewhat of a smile. Thanks for your responses. People who don't own fish don't understand the sadness and desperation we feel when one of our babies is hurting. I appreciate your compassion and not laughing at me. :(

There's no need to laugh. Fish are friends not food! I'm actually allergic to fish oh the irony. I've lost my fair share. The best thing I try to do is understand what happened and how I can prevent it from happening again. Sometimes with fish though you don't really know what exactly happened.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just reading this now. Sorry to hear. The sunken belly almost makes me wonder if it was a possible parasite. Callamanus worms eventually leads to a sunken stomach. Look at the rest of your fish's vents and see if you see any tiny little red/brown things poking out.

It's pretty common in cichlids and live bearers and loaches. I'm not saying she had it but it is something I would keep and eye out for in the other fish just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very sorry to hear of your loss and just know that pretty much all of us have had our losses too and even as much as we try, sometimes we make mistakes we can grow from in the future or we can try but not know what it is and some times it is just their time to go, and you have so many here for you.

The most important thing now is to make sure you don't make the same mistake, and as the old saying goes, "There's no need to cry over spilled milk", I'm guessing that goes along with this. I'm very sorry for the fish, I know what it feels like to lose them. Don't bet yourself up too much about it.

Nils

Sorry to hear about your fish. I lost my beautiful fish she suffered from swim bladder I tired everything to help her. In the end I couldn't watch her swimming around upside down I ran vets looked online but nothing worked. I couldn't euthanise her so I took her to my vet. They put something in the water and she went to sleep then they gave her a needle. It broke my heart when she died but I knew it was the right things to do I couldn't see her suffer anymore. She was a fancy goldfish I still miss her. Sorry to hear about your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom