At lost as what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I am at a lost. I don't know what's wrong with my Goldie's. My parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 5-10 PH measures on high pH solution 7.4. My Goldie's kept fluttering their fin I see 3of them do it. No signs of parasites

One of my moors was subject to bullying recently after recovering from slimecoat disease which I believed was caused by stress when I used Parazin p tablets to combat what I thought was a white worm parasite on my ryukins tail. This particular moor has always been sensitive to meds. I have recently rehomed two fancy gold fish because over night my moor developed finrot and these two Goldie's were ripping his tail to shreds and biting chucks out of it.

I now have four fancies in a 465 litre with 1Varaitus platy, 3wcms and 3danios.

I have done two 50% water changes this week to help moor heal his tail and used melafix for 3days between water changes. But there's def something wrong as although my moors tail shows signs of healing he occasionally bottom sits and 3have done some fin fluttering. I don't know how to help them. I feed twice a day. Veg 2-3times week. I water change 50% weekly.

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All are eating well and I don't over feed and presoak food. I have recently reduced the amount I feed for fear I was overfeeding. As I did have high nitrate readings in the past. Partly because my tap water was reading 40ppm. But this isn't the case now.

Also the suspected parasite on ryukins tail has disappeared and she was only one ever affected and never showed signs of I'll health throughout

Sorry if my old post all shows up i thought you said 0 Nitrate, my fault bud i hope your fish gets better, maybe just a bit stressed is the fish breathing abnormal? I've been told melafix is just free money for fish stores due to its 99 % water 1% tree tea oil, im a beginner so i don't know a whole lot.

That's exactly what Melafix is but in this case it may not be entirely useless. It could help clean up the fin tears.

Do you think by chance it could be the danios and platy causing the problems? They are tropical fish in a coldwater tank.

I've read of danios causing fin nipping trouble if not given a good enough school. 3 is a pretty small school.

Aside from the aggression I don't really see anything else wrong that hasn't been fixed already.

Caleb

Danios are definitely fin nippers as well as tetras, i don't know much about his temp but danios are i believe 72-75 degree fish, i have them in my tank that's 80 and they do fine, i want to lower my temp to 77-78 but my heater is a jerk.. I have it set on 70 and it keeps the tank at 80, it's for a 55 Gallon but I literally just read they work better if not straight vertical maybe that's wrong to lol idk anymore lol

No my danios have never been near his tail and I have type of platy that is a temperate fish variatius platy. My tank is subtropical. Meaning I have fish that can tolerate lower end of the tropical scale. My flats quite warm. I've had everyone for 2yrs. And my little guys have never showed any signs of I'll health. I am phrasing them out as eventually I would like a Goldie only tank. With maybe 2platys.

Today my moor has show signs of improvement the tail is healing , no signs of getting worse. I added some carbon media thought might help take out any traces of meds that could be causes the fin fluttering. His done no bottom sitting today. I've added another internal filter to add bit more aeration. Its a big tank 4ft x 2ft x2ft. I was using a power head bit its so loud I thought I'd just add one of my spare hob filters. They have plenty of filtration. 2externals 2internals. Fingers crossed things are looking up. I think I might just do an extra mid week water change whilst my moors tail is healing. Perhaps all the meds I've used lately have just took their toll on him. Parazin p then anti slime coat. Then prima and melafix. And you can never be hundred percent sure one med is completely out of the water when you doze with another however rigious you are changing water in between. You know I think I'll just have the four Goldie's long term. Even with a 465 tank 6 did look crowded and there only going to get bigger. So perhaps in the long run its a good thing I rehomed the bullies

That's exactly what Melafix is but in this case it may not be entirely useless. It could help clean up the fin tears.

Do you think by chance it could be the danios and platy causing the problems? They are tropical fish in a coldwater tank.

I've read of danios causing fin nipping trouble if not given a good enough school. 3 is a pretty small school.

Aside from the aggression I don't really see anything else wrong that hasn't been fixed already.

Caleb

Yes 3 is small but they do tend to school with the wcms there all around the same size now. I may rehome as there numbers drop.

I agree, if you cant find any useful products in the uk, try salt clean water and maybe a melafix/primafix combo.... even throw a heater in there to make them more active and healthy, heat stimulates fish to get over whatever it is bothering them more quickly. Some people say "turn down the heat for bacterial infection" while this is true, I have cured columnaris outbreak in a 10g tankful of 30 guppies in 7 days with meds with the normal daytime temperature about 86-88 degrees. (no ac in that room, middle of summer)
especially with goldfish, heat to them means everything, no more winter, plenty of food, clean water, no parasites, time to breed......heat will really help them I would say...along with clean water

My moor has shown a great improvement today. I can see parts of his tail refusing together and the grey whitefish edges have gone. He appears to be healing. He is more active today much more himself. I put an extra hob filters in with a carbon sponge y.day to remove any traces if meds or chemicals that may have been adding to his stress. I did use melafix for 3days before a second water change. All signs are good at mo

I agree, if you cant find any useful products in the uk, try salt clean water and maybe a melafix/primafix combo.... even throw a heater in there to make them more active and healthy, heat stimulates fish to get over whatever it is bothering them more quickly. Some people say "turn down the heat for bacterial infection" while this is true, I have cured columnaris outbreak in a 10g tankful of 30 guppies in 7 days with meds with the normal daytime temperature about 86-88 degrees. (no ac in that room, middle of summer)
especially with goldfish, heat to them means everything, no more winter, plenty of food, clean water, no parasites, time to breed......heat will really help them I would say...along with clean water

You know my Goldie's engage in spawning behaviour at least once every too weeks . both my moors are males and the Ryunkin and Calico fantail are female. My two bullies were female too.

Back
Top Bottom