Attack of the cat!!11!!!!1!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dream world where fish is all that matters.
My younger brother has a betta fish in a what im guessing a 1/2 gallon bowl (do not flame me for the bowl part i am fully aware. Due to circumstances out of my hands i was not living at home when he got it). This morning the cat attempted to fish it out of the bowl and lets just say he aint doin to hot... I put an airstone in this morning. wondering if i could do anything else. i have a 55 gallon with a 4in oscar, 3in GT. A 29 with 5 convicts who are 1in-1.5in (waiting for pair). i could move him to one of these tanks but i have bad experiances with not so hot bettas and cichlids.

Any betta container should have a lid, as bettas are very good jumpers.

Your tanks are not suitable for the betta.

Your brother can get a 10 gallon tank for uber cheap.

Any betta container should have a lid, as bettas are very good jumpers.

Your tanks are not suitable for the betta.

Your brother can get a 10 gallon tank for uber cheap.

My brother is 7 he has no money... i have offered to buy him a bigger tank but my step-mother wont allow it... i will make a lid but at this point i think he is as good as dead...

By chance did you even read the post?

I wouldn't respond to your post without reading it first. Not sure why you're asking.

Two things on the cat that may have caused problems..the first is obvious...kitty litter between the paws, the other is that the cat may have scratched the fish or if the cat got it up high enough, may have punctured the fish with its teeth a little. If you haven't already, 100% water change. If the fish was injured I would say the chances aren't good for survival but it all depends on the level of injury.

In any case, I wouldn't move the fish in with others until it recovers..the added stress of having to fend off other inhabitants won't do the betta any good.

A 10 gallon is recommended but even if you can get a small habitat, 5 gallons, or even for temp anti-cat fishing measures, a 2.5, it'll be better than the open bowl.

A lid is good idea (for future fish) but if the cat got ahold of him, there is not a whole lot that can be done to remedy his injuries. An appropriate dose of aquarium salt will help with fluid loss & keeping infection at bay but if he has lethal injuries from cat claws & teeth, you may have to consider euthanizing him rather than letting him suffer. Im sorry about your brothers fish! :(

The lid should help. You can actually keep the lights out for the next day and that will help keep him at ease. I would change out half his water and, if you have some Garlic Guard or Vita-Chem, soak his food in it. It will help build up his immune system.

Please let us know how he makes out.

Back
Top Bottom