Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Austrailian rainbow with growth on mouth

Remember seeing something a long time ago about this but I couldn't find it. My rainbow has something on his bottom lip. It looks like a piece of food or something but it's abt the same color as the fish and it has been there for at least a full day. Anyone know what it could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-875191248.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	69795  

Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anyone?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may be columnaris (mouth fungus) which is a bacterial infection. Its a bit hard to tell from the pic, but it does resemble a cottony looking growth on his mouth? What size tank is this & what are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Are you able to qt for treatment if you have a large tank? Some more info will help us to help you better!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
It may be columnaris (mouth fungus) which is a bacterial infection. Its a bit hard to tell from the pic, but it does resemble a cottony looking growth on his mouth? What size tank is this & what are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Are you able to qt for treatment if you have a large tank? Some more info will help us to help you better!
I agree. I believe it's a fungus on the mouth. Pet co may be helpful with sirrectig you to the right medicine (get one by API) they were very helpful to me when my fish had tail and fin rot.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ooh and get the liquid medicine..in my opinion it works better. And make sure you have no carbon in your filter when u treat them.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Columnaris is a gram-negative bacterial infection that needs to be addressed with an appropriate antibiotic. Kanamycin would be first choice followed by minocycline (maracyn2) along with a theraputic dose of aquarium salt. I have to digress on taking the advice from most petco/chain store employees.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rainbows are very prone to this affliction. They get a small growth that resembles a goatee on the bottom lip. Normally nothing to worry about. If I get a little lax on my WC's mine will start do develop this also. Several days of small water changes(20%) should clear it up. Bows need pristine water conditions, and a diet rich in vegetable matter. Try changing their diet, and step the water changes up to at least 50% per week, with gravel vacuuming and your problems will probably disappear.

Tags
growth, mouth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com