Avitrol plus? For camallanus worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have experience with this? I believe my tank has camallanus worms. I tried to order levamisole, but did something wrong and got avitrol plus (levamisole and prazi together). First, are these tablets (apparently mainly used on birds), safe for fish? Second, they won't be delivered for 10 days....will my fish be dead (2 are showing the actual worms hanging out...but only 1 each). Third, is there anything I can do in the meantime to help them? Forth, do I need any other meds to treat secondary infections? Third: will these mess up my bio filter and cause a mini-cycle? Fifth: should I be worried about myself? The more I read....the more I see humans can get this from handling the fish? Sixth, although the tank is infected, should I QT the 2 fish actually showing worms? To delay the spread while I wait for the meds? Finally: should I just cancel the order and purchase JUST levamisole? Sorry for all the questions. I'm so upset about this! My beautiful, precious fish are in danger, and I'm freaking!!!!

Attachments

• image-520331985.jpg
    image-520331985.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 112
My german blue ram and Bolivian ram. I posted last week about the blue ram having a red "splinter" coming out of him, and becoming quite aggressive (AFTER) his, and his mate's, eggs were eaten. Yesterday, I noticed 2 red things coming out of my Bolivian ram. I'm 99% sure this is camallanus worms. Both fish were purchased approx 2 months ago. They both have become progressively more aggressive. Especially at eating time. Both fish were purchased at the same store, which was supposed to be so much better than the local lfs (I'm soooo pissed! These are the same fish that brought ich to my beautiful tank. My tank is chaos right now. The angels stay up in the middle (except the sick one who spends most of his time hiding in a cave), because the 2 infected rams are constantly pecking everyone. I believe this is why my angels kept having split fins and missing scales. After researching, I learned that you can see a fish with a shrunken stomach, hard time eating, and other symptoms before the actual worms are visible. I never saw these symptoms with the rams (they are still eating well), but I now see worms coming out of both of them, and my beautiful black angel is thinning, can't eat, etc. More research led me to believe avitrol plus (actually a bird wormer) used in tablet form (not syrup) is better than basic levamisole, because its levamisole PLUS praziquantel. Those are the 2 ingredients. I ordered it, but now I'm afraid....because I don't know as much as I should. If anyone has used this product, please let me know: does it kill beneficial bacteria? What is the exact dose for 55g? I'm really considering trying to purchase JUST levamisole....but, if hate to have to wait longer! I love my fish and will be so upset to lose ANY of them. I wanted to QT either the angel, or the rams with visible worms, but I know that the worms showing have already laid eggs, so I have to treat the entire tank. I'm just hoping someone can help me do this safely, without harm to my fish, or my cycle.
I can't seem to get pics that show the worms (they're pretty small, as my rams aren't full grown). I the first pic is the Bolivian. Hopefully you can see the little red coming out. I can actually see 3 when he swimming. The pic of the blue ram is old. He hides in the driftwood and only comes out to eat and/or harass others :( you can see my thinning angel, hiding in the castle, and the other pic is the other angels stuck in the middle. I'm as stressed as they are.

Attachments

• image-3026370296.jpg
    image-3026370296.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3661592239.jpg
    image-3661592239.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1292751499.jpg
    image-1292751499.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 117
  • image-996290238.jpg
    image-996290238.jpg