Baby mollies have ich HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMN

Aquarium Advice Activist
Baby mollies in a 10 gallon tank until they will get bigger, found some spots on the majority of the fry. Ik it's ick had ick problems before. I did a 50 percent water change last night will do one today. Started raising the temp of the water. It's not at 80 yet how high should I raise it? I add salt to the water which was already diluted in there water before I added it. How often should I add salt? What else can I do?

Baby mollies in a 10 gallon tank until they will get bigger, found some spots on the majority of the fry. Ik it's ick had ick problems before. I did a 50 percent water change last night will do one today. Started raising the temp of the water. It's not at 80 yet how high should I raise it? I add salt to the water which was already diluted in there water before I added it. How often should I add salt? What else can I do?

Hello C...

Raise the water temperature to 86 degrees. The higher temperature will cause the parasite to grow faster and die sooner. Vacuum the gravel when you do the water change and change it every two to three days.

Add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the new, treated water. More than that may harm any plants you have. Commercial canning salt or Kosher salt will work too. Don't use table salt.

Turn the lights off in the tank and keep the room dark. The "Ich" parasite locates a host by sight. If your fish have "Ich", then a couple of weeks of this should be enough to kill the parasites.

I've used a little more than teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in my tanks for several years and believe that's the reason I've never had a disease in any of my tanks. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the water.

It wouldn't hurt to do some research on this subject too. Hope this helps.

B

Ok thank you for the help. I don't have any live plants but how often should I add salt

Ok thank you for the help. I don't have any live plants but how often should I add salt

Hello again C...

Just add a teaspoon of the aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of your treated water change water. If you remove half the tank water, simply replace it with the new water. This is all you need to do.

The salt is removed when you remove the old water and you replace the salt with the new water.

B

Mumma.of.two said:
Salt doesn't evaporate so only once. If you remove water you are removing a % of salt. Eg: 50% water change removes half the salt so you need to add a 50% salt dose.
Add salt slowly initially to give the fish time to get use to it.

Are you sure it is ich?
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Yes I'm pretty sure it's ick because the mom and dad fish were in the same tank and passed away from ick and now the babies have it.

Back
Top Bottom