Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
This question may seem trivial, but I'll just throw it out there.

What is your favorite background for your tank? I'm trying to get ideas. I was thinking about mounting a mirror or very shiny foil to the back to give more depth.

i like plain black it hides algea and dosent freak out fish, plus aince it's unpatterened it fpcpuses attention on the tank.

I don't bother with backgrounds anymore personally, as its just more hassle... rather i just put a whole bunch of houseplants behind most of my tanks. :p
But when i did:
I used all the different ones that are commercially sold, except the 3d types..which admitedly can look very good in the right situation. I also used black plastic, crumpled, and then unrolled aluminium foil, and i painted the back of a small tank in a forest scene (i used to do a LOT of art...how i ever found the time is beyond me :lol: ). My uncle mounted slate peices to the back of a 220 gallon tank, and it looked awsome!

I guess my main concern is to hide the wires and filter hanging off the back. Good suggestions so far. Thanks for taking the time.

:fadein:

Several of my LFS have a dark blue background that is almost mirror like and fades from very dark , gradually getting lighter towards the top.

oh i'd never thought of that! I had planned on putting a mirror on the back of my tank, but now i dnt think its such a good idea, i think it could cause some fish to fight with the reflection. I use a background from lfs,

Luke Anderson - how did your uncle arrange the slate? were they over lapping? or cut to shape? sounds like a great idea, would like to have a go at that :D

The slate idea sounds very cool, but very time consuming. And I wouldn't know where to get slate around these parts in the first place. :mrgreen:

The algea thing sounds pretty cool since I'll have shrimp running around eating that stuff anyways. Maybe I can leave a thin film of it on the back of the aquarium.

The slate that my uncle mounted to his tank, if i remember right, was sort of put together like puzzle pieces, he had all different shapes. I remember it took him months to get it done, so for sure it would take a lot of effort, and possibly time. I think i'd probably practice on a little tank like a 10 gallon or something, just in case i wasnt able to get it done right or something. :)

Slate

Maybe I'll look for a lenolium pattern that looks like slate and mount it on the rear glass. I wouldn't know where to find slate here unless I was buying by the ton. :)

duh :oops: i Should have remembered that, that is the stuff my uncle used, though he broke it into different shapes and interlocked them together to give it a more textured look. Thanks Rocket 2001.

I saw a tank that someone had sprayed with that textured paint that you can spray on flower pots and it looked real cool.

I just use a plain black painted background.

Try textured paper towel, with the unprinted side facing towards the tank. It actually looks...different.

I've heard mirrors aren't very good as backgrounds because it can possibly stress the fish to much, but I don't know because i've never tried. However, I use the walmart ones and just tape those on. One tank has the background with the redish plants, and the other has the green plants. I think backgrounds make tanks look ten times better, but the live potted plants sound cool too... if only I had a green thumb...

When i got my tank i didnt realise there were so many possiblities for backgrounds!!

have you thhought about making one to go inside? Like the slate idea, but you could mount the overlapping etc to give a truely 3D background, there are also links on styrofoam backgrounds too, might be some info in the DIY forum

I once used a piece of paneling that looked like brick on a 90 gallon tall tank, I sprayed a little graffitti on it before mounting it to the back of the tank, along with a few select decorations for the inside of the tank it looked like a submerged brick building.
It was an aggressive cichlid tank, and so the graffitti that i sprayed on it said "house of pain" It really looked quite good for that type of look.

BASS

I spray painted mine ocean blue. The return flow across the back of the tank may help, but I don't have any unwanted growth on the back. Did for a bit earlier in the tank's life (at about 3-5 months) but nothing since then. Tank is 10 months old now.

Back
Top Bottom