bacteria bloom/new guppy help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I get new guppies now?

• yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - wait a few more days

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys! I have a dilemma. We were gone for a few days. While we were gone a couple of our female guppies died. This triggered a bacteria bloom. We got the dead ones out and have done a few water changes since and it looks like it has cleared up.

I know normal circumstances would advise against getting new fish now. However…. because of the few that died the male guppies are now beating up the female guppies. Usually the fix to this is adding more females. But because of the bacteria bloom normally I wouldn't add anymore yet - as I know it could very easily re-trigger the bloom.

Not sure what I should do. I am afraid the males might beat up and possibly kill the remaining females but also afraid the bloom might kill the new dudes.

I also had the levels checked and they all seem ok now.

Thanks guys!

Can you get some more females now and QT for a stint just in case? Then have them ready to go if the males are causing too many problems? Guess it is going to be a fine line. I've found removing the dead fish as you've done makes a rapid difference.

Back
Top Bottom