Bacterial or fungal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George452

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - I’m looking for help for George. I suspect this disease was caused by poor tank conditions - we had been negligent. George is an only fish in a 60 litre tank. We use an Eheim pickup60 filter. We started treatment early June with Pimafix only, then added Melafix and I think got some improvement. As we run out if things we go back to the shop and seek advice. We’ve been using aquarium salt in conjunction with everything else. We introduced Furan2 about 15 days ago but I’m not sure it’s helped significantly. For the first packet (6 days) we used it together with Pimafix and Melafix. Then it was suggested we not do that so we’ve been using it on it’s own. I’m wondering if the lack of response means it’s fungal and I should go back to Pimafix/Melafix.
When we started with the Furan I removed the filter cartridge and kept only the aeration going. I do need to clean little threads off the side of the tank. They look similar to what is hanging off George.

Attachments

• E1D894A2-2BDF-4C70-BBC7-DD4CED613AD4.jpg
    E1D894A2-2BDF-4C70-BBC7-DD4CED613AD4.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 77
  • 00AD43AE-8D1D-4BA1-85B2-5B1F348A2851.jpg
    00AD43AE-8D1D-4BA1-85B2-5B1F348A2851.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 62
Looks fungal to me. Treat with Seachem sulfaplex.

The meds you've been using outside of Furan 2 are snake oil products IMO.

Change out anywhere between 25-50% of the water daily when you aren't medicating or between medication doses. If you go 2 or 3 rounds on the meds give him a few days of water changes in between to rest his organs from the medication.

You might also try Seachem Polyguard and rotate it out with sulfaplex.

Try your best but be prepared to euthanize. He's in real bad shape.

Thanks for the response. I should have also said we are in New Zealand - neither of those products are available here - we apparently regulate aquarium products.

Aww man. Those are good proven products too.

I imagine you can get hydrogen peroxide. Considering your situation I'd remove the fish and apply hydrogen peroxide to the affected areas. Don't get any in his gills or eyes.

Thanks again. Would I just hold him in my hand? Will he try to jump?! We do hope to save him. We’ve had him about 8 years.

If it is likely fungal, would you recommend discontinuing the Furan2 and putting the filter cartridge back? Or can the Furan2 help with fungal too? I’ve been following the water changes every second day and adding salt after a water change.

Depends on if the Furan is working. If it doesn't seem to be I wouldn't dose more than a few rounds of it. Salt is good to dose. Work your way up to 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water.

If you have access to an API product like Furan 2 can you get API Fungus Cure?

Ya I would hold him in your hand and either pour the hydrogen peroxide on him or use a cotton ball soaked in it.

Don’t seem to be able to get API fungus care. Can get Malachite Green. I will try the hydrogen peroxide - thank you again.

Can you get ‘Blue Planet - Fungus Cure’. We have no issues with that in Aus and it works a treat with Rainbowfish

Back
Top Bottom