Bad day for a poor little guppy :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubisMoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wake-up this morning to find one of our guppies tail partly bitten off. I've seen enough of my grand-mother's partly eaten fish as a kid that my first reaction is of course "darn guy at the pet store told me balloon mollies don't eat tails."
So I keep an eye on the little guy and the others when ever I can but nothing all day while thinking i might tell the guy at the store he's an idiot. I test my water after work and see a nitrite spike so while I prepare my water change, I see the poor thing has lost more of it's tail and that it also looks bleached. As i look closer I see a little bit of white on the edges of the bitten off part.
Read, read, read, scroll, scroll, scroll... Fin rot! Ah maaaaan! Call the pet store, closes at 6:00 it's 6:05.
I then decided to do my water change while putting my guppy in a bowl and used see salt (only thing I could find that could help other then medication) and now he's back with his friends since I read it's not contagious and stress related(nitrite) but his poor tail is almost all disintegrated :(
Anyone know if it'll grow back? Cause he looks a fighter and might make it if i get the medication tomorrow. And I do want to confirm contagious or not?

It will grow back eventually,but you must seperate the guppy from the aggresive fish.I'm not sure if it is contagious or not though.And can you please check out my thread?It is called guppies dying and I don't know what is the cause.

I just read your thread and mine had only two signs, the disintegrating tail with foamy white stuff and difficulty swimming which i figure is because of the tail. I am really sorry for your guppies, maybe someone will answer our questions on either thread so i'll subscribe to yours and u at mine :)

Well my guppy died after all, still treating the water just in case. My son decided his guppy went to play in baby Jesus' fish tank (gotta love the way kids minds work.) i have to look for an other cause then my nitrite, cause it's back to normal and one of my other guppies has lost bits of his tail too! :( any ideas cause apart from difficulty swimming and loss of fins there is nothing. My tests are all fine, but i am going to the pet store tomorow to have them tested again just in case. I mean even my shrimp couldn't look better and It shouldn't even be in a cycling tank (learned that a bit late :p
Can say one thing, I wish the girl at the store would have told me u can make a fish less cycle!

Back
Top Bottom