Bad time for ich...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patagonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
2 days ago i woke up and realised one of the neons has one single spot that looks like ich to me...i started to raise the temp slowly and so far no other fish are afflicted...my parameters are
pH 7.6
ammonia 0ppm
nitrites 0ppm
nitrates 5ppm

the tank has been established for 7 months now and ive had the neons for about 6 months....ive quarantined every addition for 2 weeks before adding them to the tank....not a single fish had ich while quarantined...filter is a penguin 170...i havent changed their diet...ive been using prime as water conditioner since the beginning...i havent added anything new to the tank in the last 2 months...i change 25-30% of the water and gravel vac every week...i did that yesterday...the only thing different is that i stopped adding seachems iron and excel 2 weeks ago because i was having an algae issue...the thing is we are moving on tuesday so im scared that the moving related stress is going to make things even worse...plus i have like a 25 min drive to the new place and i dont want the temp in the container to drop too much too fast...once i get to the new place i have and extra heater i can add to the container while i get the tank ready and i can also hang the filter there too if needed...i was just wondering why he got ich...since the tank has been running smoothly the whole time :roll: ...oh well...ill wait and see what happens...

I wish I could tell you why, it sounds like you are doing everything exactly as you should. Maybe the fish knew they were moving and stressing in advance. :lol:

i use the same thermometer to check the water in the tank and the water for water changes...i honestly dont know what could be stressing this one fish...i just checked on him and now he has 2 spots :( ...what surprises me the most is that the otos are just fine and they are famous for being sensitive no? i dont know...ill wait and see... :roll:

You may want to wait on raising the temp. You may even want to let it drop. At lower temps ich has a very long life cycle so with two spots, two days is not a big deal. What temp is your tank normally at? Your qt? I keep my qt warmer so ich is more likely to show up sooner rather than later, as in after they have been added to my main tank. Plus there is always the possibility of it being a false alarm.

Ich is always around, and if a fish is stressed, it comes out. Your tank has only been running for 7 months; this is about the time a tank is consider "established." As far as the move, I wouldn't worry. The drive is only 25 minutes and you will keep the fish in your car with the heat on (right?). I would not raise the temp just yet and allow the tank to continue as it was and keep an eye on it.

sorry guys...i didnt have internet for a couple of days because of the move...so i didnt have a chance to read the advice about not raising the temp...its already 86.5F...we are in the new place since yesterday...but...the fish im getting ready to go get them now...since there were so many things to take care of i left the tank at the old house...my fish spent the night alone... :lol: ...im leaving right now and ill let you all know how it went...wish me luck... :D

finally the tank's been up and running since last night...everything went really smooth...i got three 10gal rubbermaid containers so the first thing i did was get the fish into one...took me a while since my catching skills need to improve a bit :lol: ...set up the heater thermometer and the HOB filter from the main tank so there was no need to rush the rest...put the plants in another one and the gravel into the 3rd one...so i was able to keep most of the water...it was really easy...since ive never done it before i guess i was more freaked out by the idea...but once you get it going its not that difficult...the only problem i run into is here in the new house...the only available wall i had for the tank is right across from this huge screen door which is facing west....hopefully i wont have an algae issue down the road :? ...as for the ich...i will have to update you guys later since ive kept the lights off to give the poor fish a break...i really appreciate all the help you people provided...thank you so much! :mrgreen:

heres an update
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
pH 7.6
temp 86.5 F

everybody is looking good except for one oto...hes gone completely pale...even the black line which runs along his body is gone....the other 3 otos look fine...so i have no idea what his problem could be... :roll:maybe he doesnt like such high temps??? one neon still has one spot so i cant start counting the days so i can start lowering the temp....ill keep you guys updated and thanks for the help again...

well...things are still the same...unfortunately... :? one neon has one spot and the other has 2...the temp is still 86.5F...maybe its not ich? ive had fish with ich before and this really looks like it...the good news is that the oto has gotten his color back and his fins are not close to his body anymore... :D ...everybody eats fine...what else could be SO similar to ich?

they do! thats why i dont understand why they dont go away :evil: ...i trust my thermometer and i know the temp is what it reads...plus every once in a while i use another thermometer and they both read the same...Zagz you started treating your fish for ich at about the same time i did more or less...do you fish still have the spots??? :roll:

Back
Top Bottom