Bad week part two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xcugat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My misfortune followed me to my cichlid tank. It is 20 gallons and only has two fish an electric yellow and a pleco. The electric yellow developed these white sores with the scales ripped off on its body and I was not sure if it was fungal or if it was the pleco attacking it as they have been fighting lately and it is pretty large 5 inches approx. I think its the latter as the a new sore was seen today and it was bloody around its edges. I did a water change and this time I took the cichlid out of the tank which I normally dont do as I was paranoid about it getting sucked into the hose and put it in a cup. The water change was large about 2/3 and then I refilled the tank. I was not aware but the cup had cooled down while i worked. So I mixed some warmer tank water into the cup and then let it sit for a short time and then put it in the tank (maybe a minute) It was all fine for an hour and a half and then the fish was dead. I believe it was because of temp shock combined with its injuries that killed it. How much temp fluctuation does it take to kill a fish--I have never had a death realating to a water change before (other than earlier this week see post one)

Also I have a liquid crystal themometer on the tank which I was suspicous of but read that it was accurate in some aquarium book along the way. Are they accurate--I had alchohol ones before they broke over time that I thought were. Also I discovered today that gravel piled up near were the thermo is can effect its reading--I have them at the bottom of the tank covered by gravel. The gravel got piled even higher during the cleaning and when I moved it the gravel the temp changed by four degrees.
This has been a very bad week. sorry for the long post but I needed to vent thanks for any help you may have on this great forum temp 78( a bit cold but its been this way for months and I did not want to stress the fish) but then 75 b/c of confusion ph approx 7.6

Sorry for your loss. Since your fish was weak, the temp change may have been the final straw. Normally a few degrees difference would not make a difference. But the injuries were most likely the demise of your fish. Plecos that are larger in a smaller tank frequently become aggressive. Your lab probably developed a fungal infection from the pleco sucking on it's slime coat.

I use digital thermometers as I find them to be the most accurate.

Back
Top Bottom