Bala help?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach1410

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I have just noticed one of our Bala's have a puffy eye that is red around it and a bit under his chin. (if u call it their chin?!) Nitrate fine although ammonia is up a bit. All the other fish are fine. He is swimming, eating and acting as usual and wouldn't think anything is wrong apart from his puffy red eye. Its not the actual eye i don't think, its around it. His tank mates are (for now, until we get another bigger tank)
9 x other bala's ( all same size as him, purchased at the same time)
4 x red tail sharks (two bought with him, 2 added today)
2 x columbian sharks (bought a month or so after him)
2 x white? rainbow? sharks ( added today)
2 x small barbs
2 little neon tetras and a raspbora.
They all picked on the newbies a bit today but has only lasted for about an hour. All seem settled now.
Its a AquaOne AquaStyle 850 tank.
We have had one columbian shark die last week but didn't seem to be ill at all, and 3 red tails have just disappeared in the last 3 weeks. We have had the tank for maybe a year or so. I know I have too many fish in there at the moment but we are looking for a nice big tank for the bala's. I hope I have given enough info for some advice.

PS The new fish don't appear to have anything wrong with them. And I have just added a dose of Prime and Stability for the slightly elevated ammonia.

Hi
Thanks for asking. He is doing fine.A few days ago, it wasn't as bad but then the next day it was back bad again. So strange! I went to the petstore Wednesday to ask them about it and get something if I needed to. The lady said perhaps he had banged into something, which is what I thought too. She suggested melafix is it? So i got that, when i got home I was getting ready to do a little water change and add some and I couldn't see the one with the problem!! :huh: They are all still there and the one I think it is, there is nothing there now! I couldn't believe it!! At least I have the stuff now in case something else happens!! :roll eyes: Very strange, but glad its gone!

Back
Top Bottom