Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2003, 02:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

One you complete the anti-biotics, you may want to try a round of Melafix for those torn fins. Great stuff. Its made of tea tree oil; safe for all fish, doesn't muck up your biological filters, and really helps the fish repair torn fins. I've used it with my angelfish when they've had some minor fin rot/torn fins from beating on each other and its worked wonders. Just keep the carbon out till you finish with it (and make sure you've removed most of the anti-biotic from the water with water changes). I wouldn't use it for major infections (like the initial one you had with your bala) but for minor stuff its great.

You can read about it here: http://www.brooklands.co.nz/pharma/melafix.htm

Old 07-13-2003, 02:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Melafix...I will remember that. I wasn't sure if the finrot came with the infection as a package deal or something like that. So about eliminating the antibiotic with water changes...how many? How frequent? And how much?

It reads on the box of Kamacyn that you can remove all of the antibiotic from your water just by placing the carbon back inside of your filter??? This isn't true? It makes sense to me that water changes would take care of it. Hey, why not just put the carbon back in and do water changes as a double-whammy to take care of the anti-biotics? I still need to know how many, when, and how much, though. Thanks for your help! Need kudos? have a few!

Thanks again,
A not so Concerned_Citizen

Old 07-13-2003, 03:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The carbon WILL pull the Kamacyn out; tis why they tell you to make sure there is no carbon while you're treating with it (kinda defeats the purpose if its not really in the tank and just sitting in the carbon LOL). I realise now re-reading my last post I utterly forgot to add the bit about the carbon (I didn't even use carbon till about 2 1/2 months ago when I upgraded to an Eclipse system; the carbon is already added to the filter cartridges).

I'd do a partial water change as well; maybe 25% or so, or a 10% change for 3 days running; that combined with the carbon should rid the tank of the Kamacyn. Melafix says its ok to use in combination with other meds; I personally would rather stick to one at a time god forbid something had a reaction. At least I'd be able to better pinpoint the cause.

Oh LOL and no kudos necessary; just let me know if all works out ok
Old 07-13-2003, 02:30 PM   #14

Right on! I thought I knew what you were saying all along but I had to make sure. I only have one day left to medicate and all of the redness is gone. I did notice a little bit of a color fade in my biggest black fin shark. But i can't figure out if it is due to the medication seeing as how his color comes back when the light is out. It has always been that way, just not so severe of a color loss. Oh well, I'll have to see if it improves when I stop medicating. Everyone is eating well and being very active so I'm not worried. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the advice!

Ryan
Old 07-15-2003, 02:03 AM   #15

Well, today was the last day of medication on the balas. The red is totally gone and even without having to use Melafix, the fins are already on their way to a speedy recovery. I am adding the charcoal into a new filter bag to begin filtration again. Should I do a small water change also? I am leading toward doing that but what does everyone think?

Thanks
Concerned Citizen
Old 07-15-2003, 11:03 AM   #16

I knows its a little post facto, but balas have tricky swim bladders. Almost every bala will flip over in the first 48 hours of a transfer. It's not a sign of a bad problem (usually).

Also, add salt. Small amound of aquarium salt can be good for the fish. They help prevent disease and heal open wounds within days. One of my dollars had scrapes on his sides straight to the muscle and fins almost entirely bone and it healed him in a few days.

Tags
bala, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com