Bala shark got caught in circulation pump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoxRaid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went out today to the store and come back with my bala caught in the circulation pump.... He's hurt real bad and lost one of his fins his dorsal fin is ripped up to. I bought the pump from petsmart and they told me it would be fine that fish won't get caught in it etc... I'm real disappointed. He's still alive though and moving somewhat but does end upside down. What do I do do I keep him in the tank until he passes away possibly or should I just put him down humanely? Can I put anything against the circulation pump so this doesn't happen again. I feel awful for this.

Why would you want to put him down and not try to help him? Is there anything else in your tank? Why do you have a circulation pump in a freshwater tank? How big is your tank? Sorry for all the questions.. I would suggest taking the pump out and get some melafix. Some people swear its not good, but I've always had success with it. Its a melaluca (or however its spelled) based medicine used for open sores and it promotes fin regrowth while fighting off any infections as well. I have a pictus that got in a brutal fight with another pictus leaving the one with a huge chunk missing from his side and multiple other sores. I put him in a quarantine tank and treated him with melafix. It took over a month for him to heal almost 100% but it did help and now almost 2 years later he's still alive and very healthy.

Why would you want to put him down and not try to help him? Is there anything else in your tank? Why do you have a circulation pump in a freshwater tank? How big is your tank? Sorry for all the questions.. I would suggest taking the pump out and get some melafix. Some people swear its not good, but I've always had success with it. Its a melaluca (or however its spelled) based medicine used for open sores and it promotes fin regrowth while fighting off any infections as well. I have a pictus that got in a brutal fight with another pictus leaving the one with a huge chunk missing from his side and multiple other sores. I put him in a quarantine tank and treated him with melafix. It took over a month for him to heal almost 100% but it did help and now almost 2 years later he's still alive and very healthy.

It's what I was recommended from the store because balas like strong currents. I never had problems with it before since I've used them for about 3 years since owning multiple tanks.
I have him in a 100g tank and it's not that I don't want to help him I just don't know that even if I did help him he would die. I took him out to try and get a pic since he was hiding in the tank. Both sides of his body, his scales are gone, his tail is ripped, and his dorsal fin is shredded. I'm asking because I don't want him to suffer if he's hurting.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130529_213415.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130529_213415.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 121
I'm not saying its wrong to have a circulation pump in a freshwater tank, I've just never heard of that myself and was curious. He looks pretty beat up and I'm sure he is in pain.. The saying "fish don't have feelings" is not true at all. Its up to you though. If you feel he is suffering too much, I think the most humane way to put him down would be to put him in a bag with some of the tanks water and place the bag in the freezer. The cold temperatures will slow his heartbeat and put him to sleep..

I really think you can save him though. If you have the time, a little extra cash for medicine and an extra tank to use as a quarantine, then id say at least try.. but again it is up to you.

I really think you can save him though. If you have the time, a little extra cash for medicine and an extra tank to use as a quarantine, then id say at least try.. but again it is up to you.

The only extra tank I have is a 5g that's been empty for awhile my other tanks are full. I'll just see how he does for another day. I did turn the current off for now. I'm worried about stressing the other 2 balas I have in there without the current because they usually swim in it. Idk how he could get himself stuck in there because it's so strong unless he darted in. I'm shocked that he wasn't dead. He does dart somewhat still when I walk by the tank so I will wait a bit.

I'm sure balas love the current and all, but its probably not gonna stress them out by turning off the pump. At my lfs I've never seen a powerhead or circulator in any of the bala tanks. As for the 5 gallon it may be a little small for your shark. I don't know exactly how big he is but from the pic he looks pretty big so a 5 gallon may not be the most comfortable. I guess you could leave him in the tank he's in, just watch him closely and make sure none of the other fish start picking at him.. Im glad you decided to give it a day before euthanizing him, I know it may seem like he's suffering terribly but time WILL heal.

I'm sure balas love the current and all, but its probably not gonna stress them out by turning off the pump. At my lfs I've never seen a powerhead or circulator in any of the bala tanks. As for the 5 gallon it may be a little small for your shark. I don't know exactly how big he is but from the pic he looks pretty big so a 5 gallon may not be the most comfortable. I guess you could leave him in the tank he's in, just watch him closely and make sure none of the other fish start picking at him.. Im glad you decided to give it a day before euthanizing him, I know it may seem like he's suffering terribly but time WILL heal.

Woke up this morning and he was on his back. I thought he was dead at first but he's still moving Nd trying to swim. When he does get up to swim he swims upside down. My pleco down below doesn't like that he's on the bottom level most of the time so I'm going to put him to rest I guess.

I'm sorry FoxRaid. Its always a sad day when someone loses a life.. For the future, If you plan on keeping the circulator you may want to pick up a mesh breeding basket and put it on its side, against the glass and over the powerheard so this doesn't happen again..

Back
Top Bottom