Bala Shark has gone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torres

Aquarium Advice Freak
He was very stressed, seen with ich, and didnt eat for the 11 or 10 days that im with him, this morning he wasn't banging his head in the glass, but yesterday he was. He died just 30 mins ago.
Now i have a red eye tetra that seen that have ich too, but.. he still swimming around with his friends, he just rest abit more than them, he eats, he's never seen stressed. hes like a happy lazy fish at the moment.
My tank still on cycling due to bad information from the store seller, but this bala shark i didnt bought there, i got him from another place.
Ive already done water change today, about 4 hours ago, should i do one now?
And ive already rised my water temperature a little bit, but cant put salt yet because i have a pleco there, that im taking back to the store tomorrow. Can i or i cannot use home/table salt? i read in somewhere that i could, but it could not have something that i forgot the name, i want your opinion too.
Thank You!

Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
You can use any salt that has no iodine or other additives/anti-caking agents.

I'm sorry it hear about your Bala. The ich would have been brought on from the stress of the cycling tank.
Not only the not cycled tank made him get so stressed. Bala shark should be in school's of 6 or more, some people say 3+. Loads of factors made it happen unfortunately.
I contacted the store owner that i bought him, he said that could take him back, i was going to do it tomorrow :(

Thanks about the salt and link information.

No table salt.
Aquarium salt, kosher salt, and I seem to recall someone on this forum saying something about canning salt.

i will find out about the salt tomorrow, thanks for helping

my salt have: salt of course ;p, anti caking agent (Sodium Ferrocyanide).
cant use this one then, i may buy the proper one -.-
my water is already on 31 degrees

don't raise the temp in the tank too fast though. I think that is how we lost our whole tank. added the salt AND raised the temp. Next day they were all dead. Of course I guess it could have been ick, but think it was raising the temp too fast

i havent rised fast.
My water is normally on 25, i did about 2 or 3 degrees yesterday, not at same time, i did rise some, then latter on some more.
Today i put it on 31. But i dont know who to trust. In my heater i put on 31 but when i test it with my thermometer it says 29 or so, its staying on for longer than it were before, my room is around 20 or so thats the reason i guess.
The thermometer that i use dont stick in the aquarium, i need to buy one to check it all the time.
And about salt, i will try without it first.

Go by the thermometer. Heater gauges can be off. I would get a glass one that sticks inside the tank. That way you can keep an eye on the temp. You are right that the heater will stay on longer to keep the temp as high as it is.

Mumma.of.two said:
Go by the thermometer. Heater gauges can be off. I would get a glass one that sticks inside the tank. That way you can keep an eye on the temp. You are right that the heater will stay on longer to keep the temp as high as it is.

I just got a very nice, easy to read digital for $10, or you can get one that suction cups for like $2-$3. I highly recommend the digital one

I just got a very nice, easy to read digital for $10, or you can get one that suction cups for like $2-$3. I highly recommend the digital one
I'll try to get one quickly, thanks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom