Bala Shark Losing Color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidChick9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 Bala Sharks in my aquarium and one is starting to lose the black color in his fins. Why is this? Could it be stress?

Well a few questions...

How big is the tank?
What are the tank mates?
What are your water parameters?

Hopefully we can help more with this information. :)

20 gallon long. 2 Bala sharks, 2 angels, a leopard catfish, and 4 small plays that we used to cycle the tank. Just tested 10 minutes ago all parameters were normal. Filter was running slow and due to be changed, just changes it. Maybe that was it? Are balas sensitive fish?

Your problem is probably that you are way overstocked. It may come as a shock but bala sharks can reach a foot in length and are very active, eventually needing systems around 180 gallons for a school. The loss of color is probabably a result of the stunting of the fish. Balas are really cool but to raise them you'll really need a much larger tank. There are lot's of other neat fish that have a torpedo shape like a bala that would do fine in a twenty though. If I were you I'd say the best course of action would be to rehome the balas and probably the angels and get fish better suited to that size aquarium. Sorry that it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Back
Top Bottom