Bala shark with fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumcouple

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my Bala sharks has gotten fin rot! I tested the water and even had a pet store double check it. The water is in great condition. The only thing I can think of is that he had it when I bought him a couple days ago. I have moved him to a 10 gallon hospital tank. What is the best medicine for him? I added aquarium salt and melafix to the tank, but I know that will not cure the fin rot, just treat the wound. Please advise which medicine works the best!

Aquariumcouple said:
One of my Bala sharks has gotten fin rot! I tested the water and even had a pet store double check it. The water is in great condition. The only thing I can think of is that he had it when I bought him a couple days ago. I have moved him to a 10 gallon hospital tank. What is the best medicine for him? I added aquarium salt and melafix to the tank, but I know that will not cure the fin rot, just treat the wound. Please advise which medicine works the best!

If you bought him with it it's not your fault. It should heal with just clean water now he is in a better situation. IMO no need for any meds.
In the future it's best to buy healthy fish not sick ones.

Thanks for help! I am doing at least a 50% water change every day on the hospital tank. I will pick up some erythomycin. I did not notice he was sick when I bought him. Trust me, if I had, I wouldn't have bought him. That's what I get for buying fish at Petsmart! Already lost 8 fish out of the 15 that I bought from there. Already nursed one back to health, and now I am treating another one! They have all been something different and from all 4 of my aquariums. All of the other fish that we have from the other pet store are doing great. From now on, I will buy all my fish from Jack's!

Back
Top Bottom