bala shark with prob; please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littleloachlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! Please help with our bala shark, Big Boy. We noticed yesterday that he has something at the right corner of his mouth. It looks like a fish-version of a skin tag. We have kept fish for years, but have never seen this on any fish.
Its in the very far corner of his mouth (if hed open up all the way, yawning, etc), its a transparent gray color (same as his overall color). He doesnt appear to be bothered by it....yet. ANY ideas? Ill try to get a picture.
125 gal fw comm tank with 3 angels, 2 balas, 2 silver dollars, 6 clown loaches, and 3 botia kubotai. Everyone gets along well. The other bala does prompt him to swim by touching him on the side, but theyve done that since they were the size of shoestring french fries.
Temp is 79.6; ammon and nitrites are 0, nitrates are 20. We have been doing extra water changes to lower the nitrates. pH is 6.6 but stable. We do pwcs and vacuum weekly.
He is approx 6.5 inches long. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I tried ti get pics...cant get him still enough. The 2 best i could get are in our album listed, our tanks.
ANYONE????

Im not sure what that is on his mouth, but I do wanna say that I love your Balas. We have 4 :)
But maybe he accidentally hurt it on something?

THANKS for replying! Thats what im hoping. Theres no red or open wound. Its really strange. I love these big guys too. They are the mist peaceful fish out of all 3 tanks we have; they are a little jumpy with sudden movements.
Ill keep the water clean and keep a close eye on it.

Sorry. I was suppose to be an example of my Bala having issues and with clean water he got better.

Copachick, thanks! Its not any better, but no larger and not any worse. Im watching it closely!
Sorry, i thought thats what we discussed too; with an additional comment on the species of fish we were discussing!
How long did it take to heal on your bala?

Back
Top Bottom