Barbel regrowth on Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
All,

I have an albino cory that I bought from the LFS and I just noticed that the barbels on one side of its mouth are stunted, almost missing. Presuming the tank enviornment is good for the cory (water, temp, food, stocking, tankmates), will the barbels grow back? If so, how long should it take?

-John

Maybe a few months, mine are growing back after being placed on a sand substrate instead of gravel.

Nils

Your Corydoras

All,

I have an albino cory that I bought from the LFS and I just noticed that the barbels on one side of its mouth are stunted, almost missing. Presuming the tank enviornment is good for the cory (water, temp, food, stocking, tankmates), will the barbels grow back? If so, how long should it take?

-John

Hello John...

Your Cory's barbels will grow back in time. Keep the water free of dissolved nitrogen from the fish wastes through the "old fix everything method" of removing and replacing half the tank water every week, no slacking. An injury to a barbel can become worse if bacteria from dirty tank water gets into a wound.

B

Under excellent conditions they will in most cases grow back. What s your substrate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the barbel isn't too far gone it will grow back in excellent water conditions, but if it's basically gone there's a good chance it won't grow back

Sent from fish phone

Thanks for the response all.

My water is in good shape; no measurable ammonia or nitrites and the nitrAtes only get to 30 ppm before I do a 30% wc. The substrate is sand. The barbels are not completely gone on that side but stubby.

-John

Is say they have a good chance then of growing back just keep the gravel exceptionally clean also, hope it dosent take to long

Sent from fish phone

They should grow back fine on a sand bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom