Barbs attacking eachother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florio

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have got 6 barbs who can't seem to get along, I put them in the tank maybe a month and a half ago. They got along for the first week then I guess they territorialized. I just can not bring my self to get rid of them because their so cool looking and my fish store hasn't had more in since I bought them.

What are some alternatives?

Attachments

• image-3700749409.jpg
    image-3700749409.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 113
  • image-2797072554.jpg
    image-2797072554.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 98
Not a big deal, that's what barbs do. Thats kind of why you school them so that they'll take turns chasing one another instead of one chasing the other all day if you had say just two.

Oh so their supposed to do that?

That's kinda relieving.

My concern then is that perhaps their being stressed which could be dangerous to the other fish??

I have a few Tiger Barbs, and I've read that they like to play chase with one another. Mine do, but they never nip at each other.

What is the tank size? Usually if the tank is too small they can be aggressive but sometimes they just chase each other. :)

I have got 6 barbs who can't seem to get along, I put them in the tank maybe a month and a half ago. They got along for the first week then I guess they territorialized. I just can not bring my self to get rid of them because their so cool looking and my fish store hasn't had more in since I bought them.

What are some alternatives?

Let them be, your snakeskin barbs .. By their looks...
Need to establish a hierarchy and that's how they go about it.

Nice barbs BTW.

Thanks! I like them :p

Uhm I can't remember what kind they were, I don't think it's snake skin. But there is one who is more red than the others and he is kinda the "boss" and he is always in one area and if any of the others come around they get chased out, but there is one who is getting a lot bigger than the others and he's beginning to get his area that he chased others out of. The rest just kinda try to find hiding spots.

I do have a 45 galon with a bunch of Tetras but there's still tons of empty space they can swim in that they kind of chose not to so I don't think that's the problem

Here's the whole tank

Ps he only chases other barbs except one platty which is a similar color

Attachments

• image-619536824.jpg
    image-619536824.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom