Battling fin rot for weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wish you luck. They are difficult fish to keep, in my experience, and often die for no apparent reason. I hope yours does well and the fin heals quickly. Keep the water super clean, extra water changes.

These fish prefer it quiet and dim, no current or very little. Lots of plants, floating and in the substrate, no pushy tank mates.

They were from Petsmart and seem happy so far the one I had longest is about 2 weeks

I was trying to breed them. Set up a tank just for them, with everything I could find that they needed. Had several pair plus extra females. The boys were making bubble nests, but the first one died just days after he built the first nest. Lost all the boys in less than a month, many of the girls too. Got more males, they lasted even less time. I took the remaining females back to the store for a small credit.

Water parameters were pristine, and there was never a spike or any illness I could see signs of. Just one day they'd be at the bottom, or draped over a plant, next day they'd be gone. It was very depressing. They are not ALL bad, I know, because some people have some success with them. But based on some articles I read, I concluded they are too fragile for me to try again, and they cost too much when they don't live for long.

Maybe the source, but they were from at least 3 different shipments and two stores.. so I didn't think that was it. Don't know what it was, just very discouraging.

I hope mine do well they seem much happier after beig home than cramped in Petsmart with several males I each small area

If they make it I might get more see if I can have diff colors with eac other ... Will probably wait a few months to see . I know I'm lucky with Betta mine can go a month without WC I one gal bowl but I try do more often now

Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately she died yesterday...
Wish I would have known about the antibiotic earlier ),:

Sorry to hear about losing your fish. :( Fin rot in guppies can come on so darn quickly and can be hard to treat since it returns when you think it's gone. My guppies get it on their tales because the males nip each other when they fight. Some males are more aggressive than others - my red guys are much more nippy than my blue ones for some reason.

Antibiotics like Maracyn Two sometimes work on guppies if you catch it early on. They seem small enough to absorb it from the water or maybe they eat the small particles. Minocycline is a Tetracycline that is used for skin and soft tissue bacterial infections. I haven't lost any fry from using it either so that's something.

Back
Top Bottom