Belly up fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flamin' Fox

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Something is wrong with my goldfish. Like 2 months ago we thought it was pregnant cause it looks like it has something in his/her belly, but nothing has happened; and for a month now it has been staying at the top of the tank and turning over on its belly. Then, when I walk by, it turns over and starts begging for food. But when it does not see me, it starts to turn over again.
Does any know whats going on? Is it holding eggs or something? Or is it just fat? :?:

Moved to the Unhealthy Fish Forum. Read the sticky at the top of the forum titled "Before posting about unhealthy fish, read this" and respond with the answers in this post.

Sorry about that :oops:

1~I don't know the name of the kind of goldfish, I just know its a goldfish. Like 2 months ago we thought it was pregnant cause it looks like it has something in his/her belly, but nothing has happened; and for a month now it has been staying at the top of the tank and turning over on its belly. Then, when I walk by, it turns over and starts begging for food. But when it does not see me, it starts to turn over again.

2~I really don't know my tank parameters, I figure not knowing that will cause bad things in my tank, but I had the tank ready before I knew some of that was needed.

3~ The tank is 20 Gallons. It has been set up since july 1st, two months ago.
4~ I have a Top Fin power Filter for up to 20 gallon tanks. It pumps 100 gallons per hour.

5~ I have 4 goldfish, 1 guppy, and 2 algae eaters, they are medium size like 3-5 inches.

6~I just cleaned the tank 2-3 days ago. I change just got the tank so I'll change it once a month.

7~I had the guppy for about 5-6 years, and 2 of the gold fish for 2 months, the other 2 about a year ago and the algae eaters for about 1 month.
8~ I have not added anything new.
9~I feed them Top Fin gold fish flakes and 2 times a day.

sounds constipated. Try feeding frozen peas. Pop a few in the microwave with some water for apx 10 sec. Then pop them out of their shells and feed them to the fish. Avoid feeding anything else for a few days. If the fish starts swimming normally again be careful not to overfeed at any one time.

Back
Top Bottom