best chemical treatment for ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish345

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish have ick and I was wondering what was the best chemical treatment

years ago i used marinelands ick remedy and it worked. cant say its the absolute best though but hey it worked. also you can try using aquarium salt and slowly raising your temp up to 86 degrees. i believe its 1 tbsp / 5 gallons for salt(google it before you try to make sure im right). or you could just raise the temp slowly to 86 without salt. ick can no longer reproduce at that temp.

Kordon Rid Ich has been highly toted for a chemical cure. I believe you have to remove and carbon from your filters during treatment with this if you run carbon.

Personally I use aquarium salt and heat with several water changes. It's 1 teaspoon of salt per 5 gallons to start with. After about 4-5 days up it to 2 teaspoons of salt per 5 gallons of water. This is mainly to acclimate your fish to the salt gradually. Set the temp to 86 degrees right away. Up the temp 2 degrees per hour until you hit 86. Again, gradually acclimating the fish to heat. Now water changes......I do 50% right away. Then I do 25% water changes twice a day. Give it around 6 hours between water changes...... depending on schedule it can go longer between the changes but I wouldn't go earlier than 6 hours between changes. If you don't have a Python gravel vacuum id suggest getting one immediately. Vac your substrate lightly....don't go deep.... during every water change. Lastly, cross your fingers and hope it works.

As noted Rid Ick seems to be the med of choice on AA. If you really want to nuke Ick or Velvet,
Coppersafe or Cupramine would be my choice. If noticed early, I'd go the heat route, minus the salt.

Helpful links

I'm finishing up a month-long battle with Ich in my tank. I found these links very helpful, and I highly suggest you read them. You'll found out exactly what you're fighting and how whichever treatment you use works.

Hello fish...

You don't need to use chemicals. You just need to start and follow a more aggressive water change routine. Start by changing the tank water two to three times a week. Change out at least half the water and work up to 2/3rds. When you perform a water change, do a thorough job of vacuuming the bottom material. It's a fact that parasites and viruses don't tolerate pure water conditions. You can take things a step further by adding a bit of standard aquarium salt to the replacement water. A couple of teaspoons for every 5 gallons will do. You can follow this procedure for as long as needed. Once you see improvement, you can stop using the salt and change half the tank water weekly.

B

^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^
A thorough gravel vac not only rids the tank of excess food and fish waste, it also greatly knocks down the ever present populations of Bacteria, Fungus and Parasites. I hit gravel vacs
hard with every WC.

Heat is not a chemical, but it always works for me. I get my tank up to 90° if the fish can handle it. Leave it for a day to 3 days then clean/ vac the bottom with big water change. Then slowly raise temp over the next few days. If you want chemicals, ick x is pretty good. Just watch your fish on recommended dose. Sometimes it's too strong for some fish when they are bad off. Good luck!

I went ahead and bought some API super ick cure because they were all out of marine land. My fish look cured except for my bumblebee catfish and my Dalmatian molly. I separated my molly and gave it a full dose because I could not do a full dose in the tank with my catfish and my molly is now almost ich free. My catfish on the other hand looks like it is getting better very slowly not sure why the other fish are cured except the catfish. Also I found it weird my Cory never had contracted the parasite

I’ve had that - one school gets infected badly and other fish fine. Although tbh would of betted on the Cory getting it.

I know I was expecting It to get ich to since it lives on the bottom. My bumblebee catfish is rubbing alot do you think it could hurt its self.

Back
Top Bottom