Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Best treatment for ick

I have a 55 gallon, fully cycled. I bought an angelfish the other day and now it seems it has developed a few white spots. I have turned up the heat. What is the best method for treating ick? I was thinking about adding salt, but I have a pleco and am worried it will kill it. Please advise. I went through this when I first started my tank and all the fish died.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
To treat ich: Raise the temp to 86-88f. No less than 86. 90 is too high. Increase aeration. The higher the temp the less oxygen the water holds. Increase water change and gravel vacs. Leave the temp up for at least one week after the last spot is seen. Medication and salt is not usually needed. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
To treat.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am trying to raise the temp but it seems it won't go any higher then 82. I hope I don't need a new heater. Doing water changes, only the one fish has it. I just bought him on Sunday. I will keep at it. Do you think I need a new heater? It is turned all the way up.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to The Trooper
That would make me think that the heater is not powerful enough to bring the tank up to the needed temp, might be worth upgrading or getting an extra one.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It is a marineland heater. It used to get the tank up to 86, but no more. I think changing the water keeps bringing the temp down. I live in South Florida so the water isn't that cold. I will probably go to the pet store tonight and get a new heater. Hate to have to spend the money right now, but I also don't want my parrotfish to die.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to The Trooper
I know my heater is set to 29deg however tank is only 26deg, hopefully a 300w Fluval heater will be ok at heating up my new 55g if need be.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So just raising the temp didn't help. I ended up treating with Quick cure for four days. Ich is now gone, replaced filters. The fish that didn't get the ich ended up have cloudy eyes, but they are almost fully healed. Thinking of investing in a quarantine tank as this all happened after I bought 3 new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com