Best velvet treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for some quick opinions on the best velvet treatment.

50 gallon tank
temp-~78 (and raising it)
pH 7.5
ammo/nitrite/nitrate 0/0/10

stock list:
1 angelfish
6 panda cory
5 julii cory
3 red platy
6 zebra danios

I'd prefer to go a natural method and I'm mostly concerned with the cories. I know they're intolerant of salt but I'm not sure if Coppersafe or Maracide would be safe for them? I'm trying to stay away from treatments that would stain decor if possible.

Googling for 4 hours on velvet treatments has landed me with Coppersafe. I read information that said I shouldn't use it with cories but then I would find people that had used it with cories and there were no problems. I decided to do a half dose and see how everyone reacts to it. I'll gradually redose to the full amount over the next 3 days.

If someone has had a bad experience with cories and Coppersafe, can you please let me know so I can get it out of the tank? Thanks!

Are you sure it's velvet?

I'm not sure about Corys and copper. I'd keep a close eye on them though and if they start reacting I'd take it out ASAP. Dosing half was a good idea, although I'm not sure if they can tolerate the full dose.

Are you sure it's velvet?

I'm not sure about Corys and copper. I'd keep a close eye on them though and if they start reacting I'd take it out ASAP. Dosing half was a good idea, although I'm not sure if they can tolerate the full dose.

Yeah I'm pretty sure unfortunately. The danios were the first to start flashing and I had been monitoring them to make sure they weren't just chasing each other around. But then I saw some of the others flashing and I started monitoring closely for signs of ich. I just happened to have a flashlight in my hand last night when I was looking at all of them and I decided to check for velvet and sure enough everyone was covered in gold dust.:(

News from home says that it appears everyone is tolerating the half dose fine. Going to increase it to 2/3 dose when I get home and see how it goes.

Still accepting experiences from anyone that's used Coppersafe with cories!

Been 3 days since putting in the full dose and everyone seems fine. Also a lot less flashing.

Question though... I had an empty cycling tank that I started with old media from my current velvet filled tank. Do you think any remaining velvet parasites would be dead after 3 weeks at ~85 degrees in a fishless tank or should I put a dose of coppersafe in there as well to be safe?

Back
Top Bottom