Best way to euthanize a fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertico587

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i had to euthanize a fish that was in bad shape and i actually put him in the freezer in a zip loc bag w/ some of his tank water. I figured the gradual but quick drop in temperature would slow down his metabolism and he really wouldn't suffer that much. is this true?

I find it better to sedate them with some clove oil, then add the fish to slushy frozen water myself. You might find this interesting.

Zagz ~
Thank you so much for that link. I have often wanted a better method of euthanizing a fish other than to take it out of the tank and let it slowly die....I always hated doing that and flushing while still alived really rubbed me the wrong way. The freezing method really does sound easy and I will use that method if I ever (which I am sure I will as long as I own fish) have to do this.
Thanks again! :)

From the article on this site I thought that:

"Temperature Shock, Freezing

100% humane, and the best way to go when euthanizing tropical fish.

The method is simple. Freeze a bowl of water until it has ice chunks in it, but is not solid in any way. Net the fish out of your tank and into the bowl. The difference in water temperature will cause an instant and fatal shock to the internal organs and nervous system of the fish. Sound harsh, but the deed is done painlessly and instantly. Make sure that the water is frozen sufficiently for this to be humane. Being impatient and dropping the fish in very cold, but not half frozen water, will only torture it.

Whenever someone asks my opinion on euthanasia, this is the method I suggest. It is the easiest to perform for the average hobbyist, and is instant. "

Was an ok method and this is what I have done when I needed to do it. Every fish I exposed to this seemed to expire instantly. Am I wrong?

I've heard the MS 222 works really well.

I use the clove oil to put the fish to sleep and then freeze him/her to make sure they don't have a chance to wake up.

I had to put a golden algae eater down last year and I dropped him in a cup of nearly frozen water. It was nearly instantaneous. I'm going to look for clove oil, though, because that sounds like a pleasant precursor. In case I have to do it again.

I have gone to Drs. Foster and Smith and looked up MS 222 and another website that sells it also, but I only read where it is used as an anesthetic. How would you know how much to use to kill the fish and not let it suffer? So confusing. Also, I might not be able to wait to get this shipped from one of these companies as my daughter's betta is not doing well. Will my local drug store have the clove oil?

you put them in a bag an whack it hard.instant death..sounds cruel but is fastest painless way

1. MS 222 [Tricaine methanesulfonate]:
MS 222 is frequently used as anesthetic and a sedative for aquatic animals but in larger concentrations is the preferred method for euthanizing aquarium fish. It is approved by the FDA and considered humane by the American Veterinary Medical Association. It can be purchased through your vet or online. A bath with 250 mg of MS 222 per liter of water is adequate. The fish should be bathed for a full 10 minutes to assure death.

Back
Top Bottom