Best way to treat bladder disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my Serpae tetras seems to have swimming bladder problems. About 4 days ago it started swimming sideways. I immediately transferred it to a 5gal bucket with fresh water and an airstone going. The next day it got worse, swimming upside down and doing the spiral swim. I started it treating it with antibiotics. Has been on tetracycline for 3 days now and the fish is not improving.

By the way, I tested the water in the tank the fish was in, and all water parameters are normal. I do about 40% water changes every 12 days. (30gal.)

So are antibiotics the right treatment for bladder disease?

Have you tried soaking the food in garlic? Not regular food, just the peas. You can also try putting the piece of pea on the end of a blunted toothpick.
If that doesn't work, you can try salt. 1 tsp per gallon, dissolved before you put it in.

Melafix won't help his bladder disease...

@dkpate I thought thawed peas will do? Do they have to be boiled?

Boiling them makes them softer. I always freaked out about the hard pieces getting stuck in the fish. I pick ALL hard pieces out of the mush when I feed them.

I would fast him for a day. Than boil up some peas. You can cook them in a coffee cup full of water for 2 minutes, Take them out of the shell and put little bits on the end of a toothpick. Try and get him to eat it. If he doesn't I would fast another day, He should get hungry sooner or later... so he should take the peas, After you get him to take peas I would fast him on more day than start regular food again. Maybe give him less the first day he is back on real food. Good luck!

Well he hasn't eaten since the problem started...it's been what, 8-9 days now...the antibiotics are not helping any...i keep changing his water in the 5 gal bucket every other day...don't know what else to try...maybe it's not bladder disease? maybe he damaged his bladder? In that case nothing will probably help him =/

No interest at all? Maybe he is getting scraps of food at the bottom? Is he loosing weight. I wonder if something else could be wrong... do you have any other symptoms?

Yea no interest in food at all. He got pretty slim over the week. The only symptoms I see is him swimming sideways, spiral swimming, swimming counter wise in small circles.

Back
Top Bottom