Best way to treat pop eye? Constant diseases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

accentchick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had my tank since mid Nov 08' and I've had ich, hole in the head, fin rot, and now pop eye. I went to 2 different petstores and both said completely different stuff. One suggested Melafix and the other said Aquarium Salt. I decided to try the Melafix and am wondering if I should also add some salt to the aquarium. I usually feed them once a nite but both told me just 3 - 4 times per week and smaller amounts. Also, they told me to only change 25% water per week instead of the usual 40-50% (the water is removed while doing the gravel vacuuming) i've been doing. I have a 30g tank with 11 fish(2 dwarf guromis, 3 platys, 2 fancy guppies, 4 mollies and 23 babies (range from 1 1/2 mths old - 5 days old). Did water change/gravel vacuum wednesday. Added 3 tsps of Melafix today. Ammonia levels are 0 and ph is about 6.2. I don't know the nitrites and nitrates as I don't do those tests myself (yet). Any suggestions on the aquarium salt?

i've read that high nitrites can cause popeye. you should start checking that. its just as easy as checking ammonia and ph. mollys like to have some salt in there but i dont know about the rest of your fish.

Water parameters are the most common causes of these diseases. Doing water changes of 50% a week will help in keeping these diseases at bay. Salt is ok for your fish as long as you have no cories or plecos in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom