Beta fungal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
My beta has a gill popping out on one side that looks like she has a tumor and she has this little white fuzzy fungus ball growing thing on her chin, ideas? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405555834.082604.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405555880.079627.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The scales are only puffed out on one side that has the red sore, the red sore has a white dot in the middle and it's swollen looking and she has this white cotton ball growth under her chin by her gil

Yikes, how did it all develop?

It does look fungal around gills, maybe some bacterial infection around the head (could be photo).

Was there any flashing at all? Parasites for the red bump and gills is my thought.

What are your tank water conditions and filter like? I would try a dip (salt here as options are limited) to try and clean everything up and then meds.

Yea pseudomoniasis or lymphocystis. Pseudo needs to be treated carefully with medicine, but lymphocystis actually only kills about 1% of fish, and usually works itself out in a couple weeks or so. Make sure they are in a stress free environment.

It just.. Appeared one day. She has not had any loss of appetite or energy. I have her with dwarf frogs and feed them blood works was thinking she got some thing from the blood worms. It's a 10 gal tank with two amazon swords and driftwood with a air stone and whisper filter

I added a tablespoon of aquarium salt and I added some melafix tea tree natural bacterial fungal stuff I bought it says dose a teaspoon for 7 days. The water conditions are fine 0 ammonia PH around 8, and I do a 25-50% PWC every week. I use seachems prime. The other thing I add is some liquid fert and 02 booster for the plants

Just a note to watch the swords with the salt. Not sure how sensitive they will be to it although salt dose is low.

What meds do I use to treat?

I'm out there, meds are pretty limited selection wise here. The US has way more options. Is the melafix and salt making any difference?

Not really, it's only been two days, not sure how fast it'll change?

Not really, it's only been two days, not sure how fast it'll change?

Ime I work off 3 to 4 days maximum. After day 3 I expect to be knocking the infection down. This for me works out nicely for some meds that build in strength or require re dosing after say day 3. At the end of the week if it isn't working I can pwc and change meds if needed. I'm sure there's other ways out there.

I've also included a link to some meds below which I find useful.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html#metro

Looks like the wound is healing but no change in the cottony growth. Adding API pimafix t the melafix

Thanks for the update. Pimafix I would mix in a bit of tank water before adding. Mainly so it is well mixed in so there is no chemical cloud going through the tank.

No change in the growth yet it's only day two of the added pimafix

Back
Top Bottom