Betta!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezimmer1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
My betta looks different that I remember! It's seems really fat and it's scales at sticking up! It is a crown tail betta and is in a 1gallon aquarium.

Attachments

• image-3531810007.jpg
    image-3531810007.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image-4014782254.jpg
    image-4014782254.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 68
Like a pinecone? If so, then your betta most likely has dropsy.
Best you can do is do dechlorinated, temperature matched water changes. Dropsy has high mortality rate once you see your fish bloated and with pineconing scales.

It looks like it could be dropsy.

When you look at him from the top does he look like a pinecone (scales sticking out)?

Dropsy is usually caused by water conditions:
Tropical Fish Disease Identification with pictures and cures.

A few other things if you don't see the pinecone effect could be that he's consipated, for which you can give him small pieces of cooked, deshelled peas. I throw them into a cup of water, microwave for a few seconds, peal the outer layer then pick off a small piece.

If you feed pellets, try soaking them in a little bit of water first to soften them. Bettas can bloat from the hard pellet expanding in their bellies.

Yeah he looks like a pinecone from above. I don't have peas. What else could I do?

If he looks like a pinecone then chances are good it's dropsy. There really isn't much you can do other than keep the water as clean as possible and hope he recovers.

The link I posted suggests a strong anti-biotic that might work.

"Unfortunately, dropsy is *usually* incurable and fatal; however, in rare cases, spontaneous recovery may occur. A strong antibiotic such as kanamycin sulfate can be tried, but because it is an internal infection, usually it does little good"

Sounds like your fish has dropsy. Just keep the water clean and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom