betta advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i have started to become really concerned about my bettas fins i have noticed a few times my cories chewing on him. I'm wondering if he could be stressed or are the cories causing damage? He's in a 16gallon 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate. I have also noticed him chasing the cories but no nipping. Any help would be appreciated. I have added two pics one taken a while ago and one today. Thanks

ForumRunner_20130411_173216.jpg

ForumRunner_20130411_173618.jpg

The light in the second one doesn't show his color well but it's the same as the first pic just different tanks.

Do you think his fins looked chewed? Or is something else going on? Any help would be great :)

Do you think his fins looked chewed? Or is something else going on? Any help would be great :)

Hi, ur poor guy! He is looking less well in second pic but u mentioned the light has made his colouring appear different. However, I think u might be right about his fins, especially if u've seen them being nibbled on by his tank mate. I suppose this will stress him out make the situation worse :-(

Is there anyway he could be housed alone for a while to see if that makes a difference?

I know u are a vigilant water changer ;-) and assume it's not a water quality issue.

Best wishes to u and him and hope if the above is not the case u get some answers quickly. X

Hi, ur poor guy! He is looking less well in second pic but u mentioned the light has made his colouring appear different. However, I think u might be right about his fins, especially if u've seen them being nibbled on by his tank mate. I suppose this will stress him out make the situation worse :-(

Is there anyway he could be housed alone for a while to see if that makes a difference?

I know u are a vigilant water changer ;-) and assume it's not a water quality issue.

Best wishes to u and him and hope if the above is not the case u get some answers quickly. X

He just looks awful. Thinking of re homing the cories something i don't want to do :( he gets 50 % clean every four days now I'm doing it every three. Would love to know what's going on or if it is stress.

WOW I find it really hard to believe Corys are doing it. Is he in with Gonzo and other fish

WOW I find it really hard to believe Corys are doing it. Is he in with Gonzo and other fish

No he's got his own tank. I, ve watched my male cory chewing on him a few times even to the point my betta has pulled away. It's horrible seeing him like this, really think he's better having the tank to himself.

Maybe go get the 2.5g tank at Petco. Has a filter. Give him his own home

Going to move the cories, one of the girls has just pulled a chunk of his fin and ate it! I think it's when there scavenging for food my betta is on the bottom and the cories are just coming across him. Thanks for helping though bkiggy appreciate it.

I have 3 elephant ear Betta , 1 each tank and 1 by himself. Usually it's the Betta to picks on everyone not the other away around.... LOL. Could be just mistake in identity since, Cory's have very poor eye site. They go by scent

I have 3 elephant ear Betta , 1 each tank and 1 by himself. Usually it's the Betta to picks on everyone not the other away around.... LOL. Could be just mistake in identity since, Cory's have very poor eye site. They go by scent

Yep i agree i definitely think it's an accident but he's in bad shape poor wee guy he's sitting sulking! You have elephant ears that's one betta i would love :)

Yep i agree i definitely think it's an accident but he's in bad shape poor wee guy he's sitting sulking! You have elephant ears that's one betta i would love :)[/QUOTE]

I think they are in "my pictures" for $20 each they are bigger than normal Betta but not as big a King Betta - they can be belligerent at times and get picky at other fish. ALOT of floating plants make them happy

Yep i agree i definitely think it's an accident but he's in bad shape poor wee guy he's sitting sulking! You have elephant ears that's one betta i would love :)

I think they are in "my pictures" for $20 each they are bigger than normal Betta but not as big a King Betta - they can be belligerent at times and get picky at other fish. ALOT of floating plants make them happy[/QUOTE]

I will have to have another look at your pics lol i really like them, there was a beautiful one on ebay but i just don't have the room for another tank!

I think they are in "my pictures" for $20 each they are bigger than normal Betta but not as big a King Betta - they can be belligerent at times and get picky at other fish. ALOT of floating plants make them happy

Do you guys not get them there? Next time I'm in Scotland , I will bring you one. My gift
Actually, I wonder what it would be to ship ? Ill look into that
;)

Do you guys not get them there? Next time I'm in Scotland , I will bring you one. My gift
Actually, I wonder what it would be to ship ? Ill look into that
;)

The only place i seen them is ebay. If you're ever in Scotland your more than welcome to visit :)

The only place i seen them is ebay. If you're ever in Scotland your more than welcome to visit :)

Awesome !! We were looking for VACA ideas , decided on Bahamas for this year. Next summer definitely !!!!
I may send you one. I have to look into it!

Please stay on topic. :)
Have you removed the betta (or the cories) to a new home? I must say, that is a bit odd. I have never actually heard of cories doing that! I guess they are just overly enthusiastic feeders.

Going to move the cories, one of the girls has just pulled a chunk of his fin and ate it! I think it's when there scavenging for food my betta is on the bottom and the cories are just coming across him. Thanks for helping though bkiggy appreciate it.

I think some Bettas are just more docile. And should be kept singly. They are not very social creatures. He does look stressed. I still think give him a chance and get Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 tank for him. Get a Nice floating plant, and cave to Hide in. = happy Betta
Your welcome

I think some Bettas are just more docile. And should be kept singly. They are not very social creatures. He does look stressed. I still think give him a chance and get Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 tank for him. Get a Nice floating plant, and cave to Hide in. = happy Betta
Your welcome

Removed my cories today, so it's just him and the apple snails hopefully this will help! Thanks bkiggy :)

Back
Top Bottom